Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Why didn't you just say Kindsvater.... This whole prop thing sounds just like more old-school v-drive black magic voodoo mumbo-jumbo.
    Sometimes it does seem like black magic. A prop that works on one boat sometimes doesn't on another and the boats can be rigged the same. When you finally settle on a prop, you'll never know if a better one is out there unless you try "all of them". lol

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar

Why didn't you just say Kindsvater.... This whole prop thing sounds just like more old-school v-drive black magic voodoo mumbo-jumbo. I don't know any of these prop builders, but I give credit to these Grose guys for trying to get this bullshit into the right century, that's for sure.

Imagine a serious drag race program trying to deal with the multitude of variables from TOTALLY hand worked/finished props and going through 6-8 props in a season...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 04-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Yeah but, not everyone is trying to rotate the world. I would say most are just trying to get their moneys worth. We're talking shafts here, right? So let's talk this material from different countries thing, because that's what really started this right? If anyone who thinks there's a difference in material from a mill in Italy to Germany to USA etc, they need to do their homework. Any material coming from a G7 country is made to the same standards, period. Now the jackhole thrufeeding the barstock on the centerless is a different story, but the material is the same.
    Fixed it for you...

P.S. the thought of ANY precision piece of work going on a centerless grinder makes me shutter... Not sure what BETTER alternatives there are but MANoMAN have I seen some Scheiße come off of centerless grinders, and then the customers wanted me to run it through my swiss type sliding headstock and make a precision piece...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 04-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Yeah, now where are we supposed to get titanium from.
    Orthopedic surgeons...

Funny how some people are so adamant about not copying some thing some one else did,,,lol this is fn ludicrous look at the wheel first designed by the cave man, now 1000 of companys make them.. or the car first car ever built and every fn car after that is a copy slightly changed but a copy,,welcome to reality as some one else said if you don't want your shit copied don't sell it or let any body else ever see it , very simple,we copy , refine and copy its what people do period.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    Funny how some people are so adamant about not copying some thing some one else did,,,lol this is fn ludicrous look at the wheel first designed by the cave man, now 1000 of companys make them.. or the car first car ever built and every fn car after that is a copy slightly changed but a copy,,welcome to reality as some one else said if you don't want your shit copied don't sell it or let any body else ever see it , very simple,we copy , refine and copy its what people do period.
    There is a huge difference between seeing a concept and developing your own product based on the concept, and copying the product because it works and you are too lazy or are incapable of making a better product. Those who lack inititive and ambition don't know the sting of someone stealing the credit or profit from their hard work. Most of those same people lack the concept of its better to do the hard right, than the easy wrong.

Its not really funny. Its actually kind of sad. But, it does speak volumes about the people that do and don't get it.
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Snoc I KNOW you'll argue the point but Reverse Engineering is not simply to COPY....

Reverse engineering has its origins in the analysis of hardware for commercial or military advantage.[2] The purpose is to deduce design decisions from end products with little or no additional knowledge about the procedures involved in the original production. The same techniques can be used for research of systems applications, not for industrial or defense ends, but rather to replace incorrect, incomplete, or otherwise unavailable documentation or design information.

So if you were to "engineer" something new than it would be a new design.... somebody comes along and disassembles the product in order to put it back together a different way is "reverse engineering" in that you will always 'find' a better way to do something if you are capable in the least to make things work. Whether its a mechanical object or simply a SOO... (Sequence of Operation) for doing a procedure or process in a more timely manner.

Reverse engineering really means Re-engineering something to make it better or more cost efficient or something that hopefully the changes create something different than what you started with....

And Bob.... Lighten up FRANCIS!!!!! .....

Last edited by ptc; 04-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/

PTC, I realize the traditional definition of reverse engineering. However, some 3-D copying services refer to the process of 3-D copying as reverse engineering (But, I think I've already said that). After the 3-D copying is complete they can then render a copy of the copied part using CNC machines or 3-D printers , thus completing the reverse engineering process.

And yes in the traditional sense, reverse engineering was traditionally done to save development costs and garner a greater profit margin for the unscrupulous company that would copy someone else's work. And no, improving a concept isn't copying it. Regardless, making exact copies of a proven design by making a 3-D scan of it and then rendering the product is reverse engineering even if you make it with allegedly better materials.
    well in a drag boat with a drive you run off the fly wheel my friend .. and if they were jet boat headers they would be pointing forward since jet boats are a direct connect to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    PTC, I realize the traditional definition of reverse engineering. However, some 3-D copying services refer to the process of 3-D copying as reverse engineering (But, I think I've already said that). After the 3-D copying is complete they can then render a copy of the copied part using CNC machines or 3-D printers , thus completing the reverse engineering process.

And yes in the traditional sense, reverse engineering was traditionally done to save development costs and garner a greater profit margin for the unscrupulous company that would copy someone else's work. And no, improving a concept isn't copying it. Regardless, making exact copies of a proven design by making a 3-D scan of it and then rendering the product is reverse engineering even if you make it with allegedly better materials.
    I believe you said you were making a new cavitation plate for your boat . thats copying what a company made and , yet you have no problem with doing that, did you source the original person who designed that plate and pay them royalties? i doubt it... same shit applies
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

I believe you said you were making a new cavitation plate for your boat . thats copying what a company made and , yet you have no problem with doing that, did you source the original person who designed that plate and pay them royalties? i doubt it... same shit applies
    I am making plates for my boat. I am not copying the plates that were on it. The new plates will have different hardware locations and different hole locations/numbers for attaching it to the boat. Yes they will use the same basic dimensions (since they are limited to hull width, but exact length may vary, metal type and thickness will vary). Does that sound like a copy (3-D scan model ready to be fed into a CNC machine and then duplicated) to you?

Again, there is a huge difference between using a non-patented concept to make your own and making an exact copy of someone else's work and charging someone for it.