Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Well if Marc's numbers are right, and he has sold 100 props to the drag guys and river guys, which I don't think would be hard to do, then he has almost double downed. So he's recouped his investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFV2RVR View Post
    Those numbers are straight from Joey and Ron's mouth!
    You still don't fucking get it!
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You still don't fucking get it!
    You don't seem to fucking get it! Call fucking Ron then and have him explain everything I just told you, and then you can backpedal even more and tell everyone your wrong! Oh who am I kidding...you would never admit that your wrong!

Well if Marc's numbers are right, and he has sold 100 props to the drag guys and river guys, which I don't think would be hard to do, then he has almost double downed. So he's recouped his investment.
    You see anything in common here?

Like I said, things may have changed in past couple years. If he took that leap of faith, good for him. I hope he sells 1000s of them. I know of two teams that have bought props from him so far. So he has his work cut out for him to move that many.
    I know Rankin has least a couple. The GN44 is on at least the 2nd one. Buckles may be running them. I have sent an E mail to someone I think could be running one.
    Know any others. Looong ways from the hundreds your taking about UNDER DRAG AND LAKE BOATS!!!
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.

I guess.
    The point that was started here was about shafts failing, and the possibility that 80 boat pitched ear that took out the shaft.
    Whether it was the prop, or the shaft is meaningless. In either case it is not indicative a material failure, or poor machining, and has zero bearing on any of us, and virtually nothing to do with the other failures that started this thread. We've brought valve spring failures in Nascar into a conversation about daily drivers. There is NO connection to what is under the top running SS and wants under ANY of our boats, or the ones than run the enduro. Its different animal. We might as well be discussing the proplems with camshafts and lifters while we at it. Know any enduro, circle boat, ski racers, drag racers that suffer the camshaft issues the SS guys do. So why are we even discussing the issues with the skinney ass propshafts and razor blade thin props. It ludicrous.

IF the 80 boat did pitch a blade, it has NOTHING do how the prop was constructed, If it wasn't the cause, it still means jack shit. The prop and shaft are destine to fail. Failure was built into both from the beginning.
    Like a top fuel motor. It MIGHT live to the end, but don't turn it around and take back to the start line. Its spent. 3.5 second of life is all it had in it from the assembling. Lets not wonder why they burn pistons, torch valve and hammer bearings, and question the material and manufacturing.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.

You bring up an interesting point. More than were it came from, or the yahoo that stuffed into the grinder, I question what the "retailer: sells it as, and what the producer sold it as.

Case in point. Years ago, Comp Cams/Racing Head Service bought out Pro Topline heads in New Zealand. They changed the cast in name and logo on the head to RHS. They sold 1000s of sets of them over the years as 356T6 virgin aluminum.

Along come some shady POS that makes a dead ringer copy of them out of China. They are shit, and the aluminum is dead soft crap.

This goes on for a few years, and the POS crook selling copies is selling them for less than half the RHS head.

Then, RHS sells off the tooling for the iron head to AA Enginequest, and the aluminum heads no longer have the cast in logo over the exhaust, and have the RHS CNC's on the end of the end of the head. They look more like the copy than they do the original head.

Now when you go to RHS's website, there is no mention 356T6 virgin aluminum. Its just lightweight aluminum casting.
    They do have engine blocks that say 356 T6, but not heads, Ford, or Chevy, big or small block. And the price fell by over 35%

Now you tell me why you think that is.

I 'am not nearly as concerned with where the material came from, as I am if its REALLY what it is claimed to be, or a "similar" material that is "just as good" that was bought by the retailer. Either to raise his profits, or doing me a HUGE favor my saving me some money. With my $2000 prop hanging off that shaft.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 02:21 PM.

I have no idea why that is, I'm not a retailer. My guess is they farmed it to China. But for one retailer to state that another retailer's product is shit because the material came from China is retarded to listen to. Especially when the material in question is a high grade stainless or exotic if you want to call it that.
    I agree. My point was, that they aren't so much farming the heads out to China, but the heads are no longer labeled as 356T6 virgin, which means they can be any crap recycled alloy, because there is no claim it is any thing but lightweight aluminum. So is a beer can, and widow frames.

As far as prop shafts, is the material REALLY XXXX, or is a "similar material"
    Anybody have or seen a cert for the material? Or just taking the word of the person cutting the shafts or his supplier? There are counterfeit DVD and Rolex watches and everything in between. Bogus parts have ended up in jumbo jets. It wouldn't be a stretch to find a bogus shaft in a boat.
    Its not that China can't produce the stuff, They can launch a satellite, and shoot it down from a land based missile, and have done both. But the country does have a reputation for looking the other way when it comes to bogus stuff. Counterfeit U.S. money here, and you go to jail. Countereit U.S. money there, and they take your plates away and slap your hand. Counterfeit Chinese money, and they execute you at sunrise.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-10-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I agree. My point was, that they aren't so much farming the heads out to China, but the heads are no longer labeled as 356T6 virgin, which means they can be any crap recycled alloy, because there is no claim it is any thing but lightweight aluminum. So is a beer can, and widow frames.

As far as prop shafts, is the material REALLY XXXX, or is a "similar material"
    Anybody have or seen a cert for the material? Or just taking the word of the person cutting the shafts or his supplier? There are counterfeit DVD and Rolex watches and everything in between. Bogus parts have ended up in jumbo jets. It wouldn't be a stretch to find a bogus shaft in a boat.
    Its not that China can't produce the stuff, They can launch a satellite, and shoot it down from a land based missile, and have done both. But the country does have a reputation for looking the other way when it comes to bogus stuff. Counterfeit U.S. money here, and you go to jail. Countereit U.S. money there, and they take your plates away and slap your hand. Counterfeit Chinese money, and they execute you at sunrise.
    As someone who is forced by some of my customers to use Molds built in China I can tell you that they don't know shit about Steel or the hardening process. Have I gotten good molds from China. Yep in a few cases. Most though are not. As for Certs that's a total joke. They will cert anything you ask for.

I am dealing with a new program right now that involves 9 molds. 2 of these molds even in pictures are garbage. My Customer does not care. They just say run it. One of the molds has 4 Hydraulic cylinders on it that they swear are off the shelf components. They are not. They went as far a giving us the name of the Mfg. The Mfg. does exist but they tell me they did not make the cylinders. Asked for a serial number. I am still waiting.

China is garbage. They know what we don't know. That we are greedy and gullible and will accept their shit in hopes of saving a little. Their equivalent is not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post
    As someone who is forced by some of my customers to use Molds built in China I can tell you that they don't know shit about Steel or the hardening process. Have I gotten good molds from China. Yep in a few cases. Most though are not. As for Certs that's a total joke. They will cert anything you ask for.

I am dealing with a new program right now that involves 9 molds. 2 of these molds even in pictures are garbage. My Customer does not care. They just say run it. One of the molds has 4 Hydraulic cylinders on it that they swear are off the shelf components. They are not. They went as far a giving us the name of the Mfg. The Mfg. does exist but they tell me they did not make the cylinders. Asked for a serial number. I am still waiting.

China is garbage. They know what we don't know. That we are greedy and gullible and will accept their shit in hopes of saving a little. Their equivalent is not even close.
    But never underestimate what bastards CAN DO. They are not the USSR, and we were "terrified" of them for years. They couldn't make a decent paper bag the bottom didn't fall out of. The Chinese are more than capable of reverse engineering, and manufacturing anything they like. Keep in mind, the computer you are posting from, and the phone you talk on the TV you watch all came from there. I don't know too meny people throwing there Iphone against the wall and yelling "this POS". Most are in line the day after the newest one comes out to be the first on the block with one.

But I never ever forget, that there is nothing that can't be made cheaper and shittier. And people willing to buy it. And they never forget it either.

spoke to gross this weekend about the Polygonal shafts and props,he told me it was just to time consuming too machine both pieces for a exact fit so he discontinued them, than i asked the process for making a prop from a forging , he said they have american made forgings and they digitize your existing prop and CNC a exact copy out of the forging...just what he told me.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Last 3 pages - looks like Bobs been drunk posting again.... !!!
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/