Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: Prop Shaft

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    I spent several hours at the drags at Firebird 2 weeks ago benchracing with Wayne Mettler in Don Bausher's pit and the subject of prop shafts came up. Either Scott Owens or Tim at Lenco has a shaft material that according to them puts A22 and Inconel in the trash can. I will see Wayne this weekend at the drags and get more info. If we can stop breaking shafts the weakest link will then be the prop!!!!!
    Hey Steve O, hope all is well with you sir...

Did we learn anything about these new prop shafts, new material???
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Not yet, I've been too busy. I will get the info and am considering having a prop made with splines and no taper or keyway. Ron Hill says that would be no problem.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    Not yet, I've been too busy. I will get the info and am considering having a prop made with splines and no taper or keyway. Ron Hill says that would be no problem.
    I'm guessing that not ALOT of folks haven't taken apart a brush hog gear box/T-blade mount but many use a tapered spline. I can't imagine that a prop could see any worse shock loads than my brush hog has seen (that is 25 years old) and has NEVER has been apart... THe shock of hitting a big stump or a basketball sized rock that is hiding in the tall grass with a brush hog is enough to shake your teeth out at the roots, and yet it stays together (they do have a dry clutch disk coupling on the gearbox output but are usually very rusty/crusty/TIGHT)...

Need to get the engineer from "Brush HOg" to do some moonlighting and tap into what he/they know... (fit/finish/clearances/material)

I guess a taper/key design goes back a LONG LONG time to days where you wanted a shear to take place if there was too much force/shock/mud/rope/kelp/rocks impeding the prop...??? I dunno, just speculating...

Keep in touch Steve O... I'm looking forward to a visit with your crew at Long Beach which is JUST around the corner sir... I'm sure I will be grilling something so look me up (on the dark side of the stadium)...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 06-27-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

the only thing I've got to add on the whip strut is I have one on my Sanger mini both burgeon and Wilkes recommended it on that style boat