Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    You would need to make or modify the one side of the key.
    See pics for fillet and no fillet.
    Attachment 33610Attachment 33611
    Another issue I have with cutting slots with a keyway saw is, you have a longer runout of the slot. Reducing the cross section thickness over a longer distance of the shaft. Making it weaker for a longer distance.
    Got it, thanks!

Know anyone around Fresno/Clovis that does ball endmill cuts? Im about to need that done on my Belmont when I put a shaft release on it.
    Thanks for the explanation and diagrams. Now I understand what Ive been told before.
    I dont NO much.
    I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Favorite fortune cookie: Character is who you are when no one is watching.

I don't know if I would ball mill, but I totally agree with the radius in the bottom cut Westernaero posted.
    Look a square stock Craftsman screw driver and you get the idea of what the key slot should look like.

You use the slot you like, I'll use the one that works for me.
    I have seen the full radius slots try to roll the key under a lot less force than a boat prop. Might be the kick ass set up if the key is precision fitted, and the depth is dead nuts on, but most props and shafts don't get the attention to detail that a rocker shaft is afforded. Specially in the pits of a race.

Used a radius bottom end mill, and a craftsman screwdriver shank for close to forty years and not broken a shaft yet. So I think I'll stick with it until I am making at least 2500HP. Then I'll switch to this.
    Last edited by gn7; 02-18-2014 at 10:54 AM.

On occasion I like to play the slots, but I prefer blackjack. Oh and I prefer no fillet with my slots please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JusTrouble View Post
    Know anyone around Fresno/Clovis that does ball endmill cuts? Im about to need that done on my Belmont when I put a shaft release on it.
    Thanks for the explanation and diagrams. Now I understand what Ive been told before.
    I go to Automotive Machine Specialties (AMS). They are down town Fresno on Broadway by the freeway overpass. They are swamped right now and it might take awhile for them to do it. They are real cool and have boats. If you go there see if they will show you around, all kinds of cool machines and projects in there.
    If that does'nt work out there has got to be at least 20 shops or individuals around that can do that work.

Don't argue with me Bob.
    Look at the circled area, this is why I say ball endmill and full radius on the key. Notice the pinched pressure area, there already cranks in there, in you can bet on it.
    Attachment 33792
    That circled area is the end of the old slot. We cut the shaft and extended the slot. It shows that the key rolled or tilted a little in the slot. Would a ball end mill slot with matching key eliminate that or be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    I go to Automotive Machine Specialties (AMS). They are down town Fresno on Broadway by the freeway overpass. They are swamped right now and it might take awhile for them to do it. They are real cool and have boats. If you go there see if they will show you around, all kinds of cool machines and projects in there.
    If that does'nt work out there has got to be at least 20 shops or individuals around that can do that work.
    Thanks HotWater. I'm gonna have to have you over to explain the rest of whatever the hell they just said. Is there one of those cute little yellow guys that has his hand swooping backward over his forehead?? I could use one.
    I dont NO much.
    I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Favorite fortune cookie: Character is who you are when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    On occasion I like to play the slots, but I prefer blackjack. Oh and I prefer no fillet with my slots please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You cruising to get banned from the v drive forums there HB?

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    That circled area is the end of the old slot. We cut the shaft and extended the slot. It shows that the key rolled or tilted a little in the slot. Would a ball end mill slot with matching key eliminate that or be worse?
    Well, you may have extended the life of the shaft. Like Westernaero said, that slot has seen some stress. Being it WAS the end of the slot makes a lot more sense. Now that its in the middle of the prop, its not nearly as likely to fail there. Not say it can't, but I have never seen a shaft that didn't fail right in front of the prop.