Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

I don't give a fuck if its if its turned a pre WWI lath, its the guy standing at it. What fuck do I care what the end of it looks like on the rack. I helped Bob load a shipment of material on to those racks years ago. You think the shit from the mill had polished ends???? Look like it had been cut off with giant bolt cutters. So the fuck what!!!

BTW, I watched Bob make my shaft, and it never went into some freek'n chucker for the threads,

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I don't give a fuck if its if its turned a pre WWI lath, its the guy standing at it. What fuck do I care what the end of it looks like on the rack. I helped Bob load a shipment of material on to those racks years ago. You think the shit from the mill had polished ends???? Look like it had been cut off with giant bolt cutters. So the fuck what!!!

BTW, I watched Bob make my shaft, and it never went into some freek'n chucker for the threads,
    Coffee stat! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well hate to tell you BOB is dead and there guy STEVE is clueless i watched him try to shorten my rudder stuffing box before he trashed it and Vicky was nice enough to sell me a replacement for 1/2 price since she has no control of the machines. and i watched the latin guy in the shop cut the taper on a shaft than move it to a chucker and cut the end and the threads , than go to a broaching tool and cut the keyway. I do Admit BOB was the man if he made one with a rock aim sure it would be fine , but BOB is gone!
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Good morning Bob...
    Oh, I called Hondo about the polygonal shafts and props...
    so it looks like that Bob has ruled out that the machine used isn't the problem its the guy running the machine
    A WW1 lathe will make the same shaft a brand new CNC lathe can.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

here is my rudder stuffing box that Glenwood marine shortened for me after i bought it for 82.50, vicky charged 15 bucks to cut it offName:  IMG_5630.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  53.0 KBName:  IMG_5631.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  50.8 KBName:  IMG_5632.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  44.6 KB, the machinists walked to me and said uuummmm thats some exotic material you have there , i said idk just bought it up front looks like cast brass or bronze, he rolled his eyes and said its very exotic,and handed me the destroyed part i just bought, i walked back to the front and Vicky said when machining a customers part they have supplied they have no guarantee and it being a very exotic material shit happens , than Steve added in i break at least 10 cutting tools a day working on this highly exotic material, so she offered to sell me one for 42.00 bucks and no tax. I came home and cut it off with a hacksaw in about two minutes and filed the end flat..it a a worn out hack saw blade and a shitty old file , it had no problems cutting this soft material with..

in short there machinist charged 15 bucks to destroy a 80 dollar part to sell another for 40 ....lesson learned at glenwood.

and aim going to trust them making a prop shaft out of actual exotic material when they struggle with brass and bronze????
    Last edited by ogshotgun; 04-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    well hate to tell you BOB is dead!
    You know, I try to help you where ever I can, and if I remember correctly, I was the one that guided you Marine Machine, but sometimes you are simply way too fucking stupid to bother with.
    Last edited by gn7; 04-09-2014 at 11:26 AM.

You know, I try to help you where ever I can, and if I remember correctly, I was the one that guided you Marine Machine, but sometimes you are simply way too fucking stupid to bother with.
    i appreciate your help, i was making a point in the beginning both you and kevin were all about the machine and the surface speed to tip being constant , than in the end you say it doesn't fn matter at all.. make up your mind..does the machine make any difference or not ? a old ww1 lathe has about 6 speeds and maybe two feed speeds, the reason why they break at least 10 cutting tools a day and trash 50% of the parts, this is all after BOB has passed away, and i found Marine machine on my own gave Kevin the web site to make sure there up to the standards needed and he agreed,

marine machine vs glenwood

is like a rock vs a bazooka

also iam not fucking STUPID , stupid people just listen to all the BS and never ask a question. intelligent people ask questions to gain knowledge.. i ask a lot of questions.
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Well this thread is going nicely.

Lets please keep the name calling to a minimum. While I understand the need to pop off on occasion, please try to make more general statements. For example: Not all machinists are brain surgeons. My monel is better than your monel. My WWII lathe will machine better than your CNC lathe. Even my shaft is harder than your shaft is ok. LOL

But lets try to keep pet references out of the equation.

if you want to use my quote use the whole thing

"well hate to tell you BOB is dead and there guy STEVE is clueless i watched him try to shorten my rudder stuffing box before he trashed it and Vicky was nice enough to sell me a replacement for 1/2 price since she has no control of the machines. and i watched the latin guy in the shop cut the taper on a shaft than move it to a chucker and cut the end and the threads , than go to a broaching tool and cut the keyway. I do Admit BOB was the man if he made one with a rock aim sure it would be fine , but BOB is gone!"
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Well this thread is going nicely.

Lets please keep the name calling to a minimum. While I understand the need to pop off on occasion, please try to make more general statements. For example: Not all machinists are brain surgeons. My monel is better than your monel. My WWII lathe will machine better than your CNC lathe. Even my shaft is harder than your shaft is ok. LOL

But lets try to keep pet references out of the equation.
    i wasn't calling any names and if some one is clueless well thats my opinion, but did not use any bad words
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB