Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    GN 369 lost an A 22 shaft and new prop in Sat. race at Parker. I was told it had 6 races on it. I wouldn't run an A 22 prop shaft if was free. K Monel from Italy will be my shaft of choice from now on.
    I heard him lose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GN 369 lost an A 22 shaft and new prop in Sat. race at Parker. I was told it had 6 races on it. I wouldn't run an A 22 prop shaft if was free. K Monel from Italy will be my shaft of choice from now on.
    my friend snapped a kmonel 500 shaft from glenwood marine in 15 minutes of run time...its not the material thats the problem its the machine process thats causing the failures
    Problem Child TFH uses aqua met 22 and there about 9000 hp and 265 plus mph, no broken shafts there
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

although the shaft was the end result of failure , what was the root cause of failure ? thats where you should look at, not at the result..
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Don't argue with me Bob.
    Look at the circled area, this is why I say ball endmill and full radius on the key. Notice the pinched pressure area, there already cranks in there, in you can bet on it.
    Attachment 33792
    this looks like what Casale did to mine after they shortened the shaft for the whirlawy , they recut the keyway and it looks exactly like that picture , i complained so much about it and the terrible re machine work they took 500 off the bill to replace the shaft
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    my friend snapped a kmonel 500 shaft from glenwood marine in 15 minutes of run time...its not the material thats the problem its the machine process thats causing the failures
    Problem Child TFH uses aqua met 22 and there about 9000 hp and 265 plus mph, no broken shafts there
    You CANNOT compare a TFH shaft setup to the average flat bottom shaft. Its like comparing the tires on Forces funny to your street tires. For starters, they use two piece prop shafts, and dispose of the rear section after X number of runs. Some of them don't have keyed props either.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You CANNOT compare a TFH shaft setup to the average flat bottom shaft. Its like comparing the tires on Forces funny to your street tires. For starters, they use two piece prop shafts, and dispose of the rear section after X number of runs. Some of them don't have keyed props either.
    john force runs 33" tall slicks with a 18.5" foot print ... my street car i run 31" tall slicks with a 14" contact path ,, pretty close , but aim saying is the guy that commented that he wouldn't take one if it was free.. he would buy the KMONEL 500 for 1500 bucks i guess his boat uses a shaft thats 187.50 inches long because kmonel is 8.00 a inch about, i was making a point that its not the material its the machine work where they fail usually , was using the TFH as a example .. he claims Aquamet is shit.. but it will take a 9000 hp motor and survive..he ran a Kmonel 500 in TFH and it broke out of the hole

, and also he had a shaft that used by a racer that claimed 6 races on it and he broke it.. well the racer sold it for a reason
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

just checked the life of a shaft in a TFH according to the Team owner both prop shafts last a whole season unless a mechanical failure by other parts causes problems
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Did you ask him if they look like this?
    And the if the shafts are 2 pieces?
    Things have changed a little since going to the dual props, but I don't know if I would trust any rear shaft for an entire season.

MAYBE if it was keyless. MAYBE

Last edited by gn7; 04-06-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Things have changed a little since going to the dual props, but I don't know if I would trust any rear shaft for an entire season.

MAYBE if it was keyless.

from what i seen is the shaft has splines on one end going direct into a coupler on the W drive and the prop end is just a taper , but they do use a huge impact to torque the prop nut to 250 plus pounds and there is no keyway
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

MAYBE if it was keyless.

i don't know what you call the one in the picture but thats definitely the way to go i believe
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB