Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't know if this will help your cause but the Spectra has about 989 HP @ 6,000 with 6.5 psi. The strut angle is 7.8* with a 6" drop. The distance between the transom and strut is 25". The cavitation plates are 9.5" from the transom. The distance between the engine and transom is 20". The centerline of the gearbox is 100" from the transom, 4" from the bulkhead and about 15" from the deck/dash. The prop is a 11.75 X 16.5 Menkins 3 blade. Maybe Jim Lange's rule is 1.25" per foot length of boat?

Good stuff! 78 Southwind . Jim Lange is one of the few left who can tell you why .

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Only talent I have is being an asshole, so my wife tells me. LOL
    Ill steer clear on that lol

Only talent I have is being an asshole, so my wife tells me. LOL
    tell your wife I said you are an un-ranked amateur.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    tell your wife I said you are an un-ranked amateur.
    Yeah, okay.

I don't know Jerry, maybe it's just me, but I don't find this stuff that difficult to understand. I would like to see some basic principals laid out as rules to start with. There's fine tuning with everything I just don't understand why the basics can't be said.
    That 1" per foot of hull that Bob Teague told me sure isn't that hard to understand. It's funny that he was the only one who said that though after asking multiple people for a couple months. After asking a few why on my boat the strut should be 20-23"'s I never got a definitive answer as to why. It was always, well that's what everyone says or does. Come on man, LOL, that's just craziness. You've put up some really good history of these old boats, it's a very nice little library you've made here. So why can we have a library of info on how these things actually work, and work right?
    If it isn't that difficult maybe you could tell us all how to rig a 57 Mandella to run a 100 without porpoising including which prop and plate setting to use. Or how about a perfectly riding '65 Kalawain?

It would be great if an all knowing book or data base existed! We would all like that, but its not realistic. Maybe a database for the more successful and time tested hulls could be done. That would be a start but who wants to do it?

Bob and Jerry, how about we do this. Maybe create a list of popular hulls and their strut location, angle and height for a given HP and use, that's known to work well. Just starting points for others to compare.
    Yeah, I was hoping this would turn out to be informative technical thing for everyone to learn.
    Westernaero, Jerry and I really do understand your desire, but its just not that simple. If it was, somebody would have written the book by now.

Lets just take your idea for a list.
    Take the list of v drive boat manufactures that Jerry posted, multiply number by ALL the models they all made, then multiply that number by 100, and you have a SHORT LIST of all the riggings ever used in the v drive world.
    If we just used the Beisemeyer, you would have a volume of material to write.
    Lets look at the varables for this one manufacture:
    1. Lake/river, ski race, or circle race
    2. little Beisemeyer, or standard
    3. short deck or ski deck
    4. 500, 800, or 1500 HP
    5. 2 strake or 4

Probably other considerations like engine weight and hull layup weight, but you get the idea. And we won't cloud it with stuff like open or capsuled.
    Then we could move to drag Canyons and Makos with and without runner bottoms.
    Its end less.

How about Whip Struts? From what I have read some seem to believe they're useless.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    If it isn't that difficult maybe you could tell us all how to rig a 57 Mandella to run a 100 without porpoising including which prop and plate setting to use. Or how about a perfectly riding '65 Kalawain?
    Jerry, you're killing me.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    How about Whip Struts? From what I have read some seem to believe they're useless.
    You should bring that up in the propshaft thread I started.