Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Why not RC Boats? haha
    got those too lol i have a 60" king of shaves with a modified alcohol motor pictures to come
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Short course race trucks

How does the traxxas velineon brushless motor and esc stack up against some other systems? My buddy is selling this set up for $80. Thinking about upgrading my sons brushed 2wd Slash to brushless. Do I put this in his or do I use it in my 4wd Slash and give my son the traxxas system?
    Reventon-S ESC Silver Color with Competition V3.0 13.5R Combo

Blown Gas Flats to Rope...
    In loving memory of
    Chris "Church Mouse" Blevens
    Last edited by MrDenton; 02-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.

That's an OK system (that system new sells for about $100). They are not the highest quality on the market...and aren't the most powerful. I believe they are a rebrand of the Hobbywing stuff (or vice versa). Also, I am 99% certain that sensored motors are not waterproof (not sure if that matters to you). It will definitely be a step up from the Titan 12T in the Slash now.

The Velineon system is good as well - but a 4wd Slash is the limit of that system.

But one of the most powerful, most reliable, cost effective, and "best" systems out there right now is the Castle Sidewinder 3/3800kv motor combo.

It's a 4 pole 3800kv motor paired with a waterproof ESC that can handle 3s in a 2wd truck (it can be used with 2s in a 4wd...and it will have better performance than the Velineon system - I'm just not sure it would be the best setup for a 4wd Slash). Very tunable...and very powerful. The combo can be purchased new for about $105.

If you are upgrading to brushless (especially the Castle SV3 combo) make sure the carriers have bearings instead of bushings and if you break a driveshaft, replace them with the HD driveshaft p/n 6852X.

Another option - if you want to move the Velineon system to the 2wd and step up the power in the 4wd you could go with the Castle MMP/2400kv combo (about $180 - and I don't think the MMP ESC is waterproof) and really have a hot rod.
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 02-04-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    How does the traxxas velineon brushless motor and esc stack up against some other systems? My buddy is selling this set up for $80. Thinking about upgrading my sons brushed 2wd Slash to brushless. Do I put this in his or do I use it in my 4wd Slash and give my son the traxxas system?
    Reventon-S ESC Silver Color with Competition V3.0 13.5R Combo

In loving memory of
    i have never used that system i run the castle brushless censored but that censored too with timing,,the traxxas velinion system i kept burning up but that was me
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Waterproof, sand proof, dirt proof...all the above. I didn't like the open ports on this motor. What about the Mamba Monster? If that's a sealed motor, what's your opinion on that for my 4wd?
    Aside from the carrier bearings, what else will the 2wd need with a brushless upgrade?

In loving memory of

Waterproof, sand proof, dirt proof...all the above. I didn't like the open ports on this motor. What about the Mamba Monster? If that's a sealed motor, what's your opinion on that for my 4wd?
    Aside from the carrier bearings, what else will the 2wd need with a brushless upgrade?

The driveshafts are really the only other thing I can think of. With the VXL system, the stock ones will probably be fine...with the Castle 3800kv in the 2wd, I would really go to the 6852X driveshafts.

The Mamba Monster...are you thinking about the system or just ESC for the 4wd? The Mamba Monster 2 combo with 2650kv motor would be...well...awesome - although still quite heavy. A MM2 ESC with Castle 2400kv 1415 motor would be good. Either way, for the 4wd I'd probably upgrade to the King Headz motor mount - and if you do the Castle 2650kv 1512 motor...you might need to change driveshafts and shocks also (though heavier weight oil/springs might get the job done as well) due to killer power and increased weight. If you are just talking about the ESC, then it is waterproof. Depending on how much money you have to spend, it's great. But the ESC alone is around $150. You can waterproof the Mamba Max for pretty cheap yourself...the downside is that you void the warranty.

We do bashing at the park and the dried up lake beds. Think I'll just get him a traxxas system off ebay. Sounds easiest for now. Not sure I need much more power yet.
    Also, I have a boat to finish.
    Thanks for the info.

In loving memory of

We do bashing at the park and the dried up lake beds. Think I'll just get him a traxxas system off ebay. Sounds easiest for now. Not sure I need much more power yet.
    Also, I have a boat to finish.
    Thanks for the info.
    For what it's worth, you can usually buy a new Castle 3800kv system (which is waterproof) for cheaper than a new VXL system, or about the same price as a used VXL system. I REALLY think Castle system is better. Also...with Castle Link or the field programming card you can dial in how much power you want for forward, reverse, and brake...as well as set torque limiting.
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 02-04-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Hmmmm...I'll look into it then. Sounds like a sweet set up.

In loving memory of