Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I believe his trailer is 4800lbs empty. Add a sand rail, a quad, food and water, I'd be willing to bet the GVW is under 7000lbs.
    To each their own and this is just my opinion, but the misconception that some how a diesel costs considerably more to operate than a gas truck is crazy. My truck gets 5-6 mpg more towing than his did and maybe 8 mpg more empty. Purchase price of the truck (used) will vary more depending on add-ons than gas vs diesel. On my diesel, I do an oil change once a year which is maybe 4000 miles. The gas engine needs more regular maintenance, has to work harder, wears out 3 times faster, and if it's a Triton motor, wait till it starts puking spark plugs.
    I've owned several trucks, both gas and diesel. IMO, for a daily around town driver and occasional tow vehicle, I'd maybe go gas. For a truck that's mainly used as a tow vehicle only (like mine), I'd go diesel every time, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Icecreaman; 01-24-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Ford Truck Forums

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Can I ask why you weren't interested in a diesel?
    Budget.

My last two trucks where diesels. 2006 Ford f250 6.0 and the last was a 2500 Duramax. I loved my Chevy but it was a daily driver. I sold it and bought CTS and this Ford ... And I still have money left over lol. The Cadillac is now my daily driver and that saves me about 600 a month in fuel.

I just wanted a solid river truck. The price you can find v10s for is pretty unbeatable if you want a 3/4 ton 4x4. I don't need a diesel, in fact I never really did, but now I'm doing what makes sense. Two cars for two purposes and zeros payments.

I also leaned towards ford because a relative works for a dealer and gets me a killer deal on parts and labor. Just made since. I didn't want a 6.0 and a clean 7.3 isn't easy to find and when you do the seller wants top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by niceguyeddie; 01-25-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Ford Truck Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    My buddy did a 4 Link Coilover conversion on his 2005 6.0 4x4 Excursion and I couldn't believe the ride. It was the best riding lifted truck I have ever rode in. Cadillac quality...
    My buddy has the exact same truck I just purchased but with leafs in the front. It rides like a soviet tank compared to this one. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Last edited by niceguyeddie; 01-25-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Ford Truck Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I'm sure you got a good truck for what you are using it for. We used the ford v-8 and v-10's 2000 to 2003 in the mountains of Colorado at the ski resort and they didn't fair to well on the mountain roads, they saw very Little pavement. We were pretty hard on them.
    Yea I feel pretty happy about my choice. Ford builds a pretty tough truck. I could've got a half ton to fit my needs but I always believed in having a lil more truck than you need. I store my boat at the river so it's not going to be towing very much.

Last edited by niceguyeddie; 01-25-2014 at 12:48 AM.

If you're not towing a lot, the V10 is a good compromise. The coils on the front make a world of difference. The longer the wheelbase the better they ride as well. I had a 2000 F350 and the only real problems I had with it were: brakes, ball joints (towed a lot), and the body control computer. The later was the reason I got rid of it. Bought a new 08 which I loved the power and ride, but it got worse mileage than the gas trucks. I now have a 03 6.0. With the tuner and exhaust work, I get 18 to 20 MPG so diesels aren't that bad a deal.

If your V10 doesn't have a tuner you will probably want to get one. I like the Edge products for the Fords and they have a dash pod that will make it look a lot better. I doubt you'll have a problem with your door seals freezing, but keep them lubricated and they don't get as much wind noise. Same goes for the door ajar sensors. Back doors are notorious for sticking and leaving the dome light on, or the idiot light on saying door ajar.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    If you're not towing a lot, the V10 is a good compromise. The coils on the front make a world of difference. The longer the wheelbase the better they ride as well. I had a 2000 F350 and the only real problems I had with it were: brakes, ball joints (towed a lot), and the body control computer. The later was the reason I got rid of it. Bought a new 08 which I loved the power and ride, but it got worse mileage than the gas trucks. I now have a 03 6.0. With the tuner and exhaust work, I get 18 to 20 MPG so diesels aren't that bad a deal.

If your V10 doesn't have a tuner you will probably want to get one. I like the Edge products for the Fords and they have a dash pod that will make it look a lot better. I doubt you'll have a problem with your door seals freezing, but keep them lubricated and they don't get as much wind noise. Same goes for the door ajar sensors. Back doors are notorious for sticking and leaving the dome light on, or the idiot light on saying door ajar.
    Exactly. It was a compromise.

Great info. Thanks!

I defiantly want to tune this thing. I already ordered a 50 series Flowmaster (it's too quiet) and I plan on an intake too. Does the mileage improve much with the tuner?

The truck is on 37s with stock gears. I expected it to be a complete pig but it's not that bad. My buddy put bigger gears in his and he said he burns way more fuel on the highway now.

I did miss the huge cab in the Ford compared to a Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Exactly. It was a compromise.

Great info. Thanks!

I defiantly want to tune this thing. I already ordered a 50 series Flowmaster (it's too quiet) and I plan on an intake too. Does the mileage improve much with the tuner?

The truck is on 37s with stock gears. I expected it to be a complete pig but it's not that bad. My buddy put bigger gears in his and he said he burns way more fuel on the highway now.

I did miss the huge cab in the Ford compared to a Chevy.

The tuner will help with the mileage, especially if you find someone that can do a custom tune once you get everything on the engine you plan on putting on it. I'm not sure if the newer Edge tuners will calibrate for the tire size or not on the 2000. I know the older ones wouldn't when I had mine. It's worth it to have the dealer re-calibrate the speedometer so the computer knows where the shift points really are supposed to be and can keep the engine in the happy range.

Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Budget.

My last two trucks where diesels. 2006 Ford f250 6.0 and the last was a 2500 Duramax. I loved my Chevy but it was a daily driver. I sold it and bought CTS and this Ford ... And I still have money left over lol. The Cadillac is now my daily driver and that saves me about 600 a month in fuel.

I just wanted a solid river truck. The price you can find v10s for is pretty unbeatable if you want a 3/4 ton 4x4. I don't need a diesel, in fact I never really did, but now I'm doing what makes sense. Two cars for two purposes and zeros payments.

I also leaned towards ford because a relative works for a dealer and gets me a killer deal on parts and labor. Just made since. I didn't want a 6.0 and a clean 7.3 isn't easy to find and when you do the seller wants top dollar.

Thanks... I'm asking because I am in the market for a similar set up. Used just for weekend trips as I too have a daily driver.

I'm not looking forward to blistered thumbs, but it always worth it. Gotta get all theses old emblems and moldings off. I'll replace them emblems with new ones. All these stickers are coming off too.

Also changing all the fluids today.

What lift/Coilover does it have? Take a pictures of it for me...