Auto Transmission / Engine Oil Cooler Plumbing

Hi all,

This question is directed at those who do (relatively) heavy towing with their light (1-ton) trucks.

My truck is currently equipped with factory in-radiator oil cooler along with the typical factory in-radiator trans cooler combined with a small front mounted oil-to-air cooler. I am getting ready to install my new engine / transmission along with an upgraded cooling system. My questions are as follows:

First, I have heard two schools of thought regarding plumbing trans/engine oil coolers. 1.) Plumb both the factory style in-radiator cooler and the oil-to-air in series. 2.) Omit the factory style in-radiator cooler and run only an oil-to-air cooler. Which do you prefer and why?

Second, what are your thoughts on installing cooling fans on the oil-to-air coolers? Will fans make any difference to oil temps at towing speeds?

Thank you in advance,

Joe
    "I want to roll with my brother Joe" - Joe Bateman - January 29, 1950 ~ November 27, 2013

Provided you have room for large enough aftermarket coolers I would ditch the stockers. And I would use fans for sure. It will not inhibit air flow at speeds and will improve it in stop and go situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What truck, motor, and trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    What truck, motor, and trans?
    Truck = ’87 Suburban
    Engine = 6.2L Diesel
    Trans = THM700R4

This is an engine swap from a 350/THM400 to the 6.2L/THM700R4. Primary use for this vehicle is for pulling my 21’ Hallett and car carrier, and general purpose bug out vehicle (BOV) with moderate trail use. The heavy wheeling will be restricted to my Jeeps. I am not expecting to pull excessively heavy loads nor set any land speed records. This is the quickest, most economical solution as I have all the parts and two donor vehicles.

I know that this isn’t the most robust engine/trans combo, but I am happy with the MPG. I am mainly interested in maximizing my current combo while accumulating the required parts for a Cummins 6BT/NV4500 swap as well as necessary frame mods (on other frame).

Thank you,

Joe

Name:  2011-10-09_17-49-59_856.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.8 KB
    "I want to roll with my brother Joe" - Joe Bateman - January 29, 1950 ~ November 27, 2013

Name:  Oil Cooler.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  72.9 KB

These are the oil coolers that I am planning on running. The engine oil cooler will get -10 lines. The effective cooling surface area is 8-1/2 inches by 11 inches. My transmission shop suggested -8 line for the trans cooler.

The transmission has been upgraded with the good clutches, 5-planet planetary gear, and Corvette servos. Originally built and recently refreshed by Toy Shop Transmissions in Pomona, CA, along with the 4WD conversion. This combination ran and towed great in the ‘burb that I pulled it out of. Again, I would just like to maximize my combination. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

Joe