Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFL Bulbs

CFL Bulbs

I replaced all of the incandescents a couple years back. Always been disappointed with lower light output. Would it be safe to replace the 60W/13W with 100W/23W? The second number is the wattage they consume...I'm pretty sure that's less than what a 60 watt incandescent used.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

I think you'll be fine. I never pay attention and my house hasn't burned down......

I'm gonna try a couple in open fixtures and monitor for excessive heat etc.
    On a good note these things rarely burn out.
    They are practically free at Costco bc the power company is heavily rebating them.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    I replaced all of the incandescents a couple years back. Always been disappointed with lower light output. Would it be safe to replace the 60W/13W with 100W/23W? The second number is the wattage they consume...I'm pretty sure that's less than what a 60 watt incandescent used.

CH3NO2
    The first number shows the incandescent wattage that the bulb replaces. Don't know if you originally had 100 watt bulbs, or possibly only 60 watt, but the 23 watt bulb still saves over 50 percent over the 60 watt bulb. It will also make less heat and draw less amperage (Amps = wattage/voltage).

The short answer is it will be also safer than incandescent.

Go LED, you won't be sorry.
    I gave up on the cfl's. Being energy aware I changed to them several years ago......but Now everything I put in is LED. The light is way cleaner and they don't look like funky curly fries. The 2700k light is soft, 3000k is perfect in my opinion, the 3500k temp starts to get too blue indoors.
    Costco has been a good source for me on the A19 bulbs. Also just replaced 22 recessed lights at a rental home with bulbs from Costco. Those 22 bulbs save over 1000watts of electricity over the incandescent that were in there. You can leave security lights on without feeling too guilty about energy use, some use barely what a night light would.
    Won't take long to get the ROI on those.
    cfl's, just like any florescent, start to darken at the ends and loose efficiency. You tend to replace them just as often as incandescent so they stay bright. LED's don't do that. On top of that, cfl's have mercury in them so you're supposed to recycle them and not just trash 'em. Lowes and HomeDepot have bins for that at their entrances, at least.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    I love my wife, my wife loves me.:encouragement:

Thanks Obnoxious and Ziggy.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Costco has a good sale going now on the 5-6" retro can LED kits (approx 17 bucks) . You're only allowed to buy 20 at a time but we've been stocking up and using them in new const too. 23 watts/ 1200 lumens of LED is better and more instant light. They claim 40,000 hours too but being made in China I wouldn't bet on it. However we used to pay like $200 per light for stuff like this 6-7 years ago....

Plus they are Dimmable which is cool and what we need for a lot of new const . applications

Quote Originally Posted by DC-88 View Post
    Costco has a good sale going now on the 5-6" retro can LED kits (approx 17 bucks) . You're only allowed to buy 20 at a time but we've been stocking up and using them in new const too. 23 watts/ 1200 lumens of LED is better and more instant light. They claim 40,000 hours too but being made in China I wouldn't bet on it. However we used to pay like $200 per light for stuff like this 6-7 years ago....
    I'm gonna check those out, that's the other disappointment, taking a while to reach full brightness.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

I have CFL throughout my house and don't have any of the problems you guys are talking about. They are bright instantly and last a long time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk