Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I would say 2 hands, but not 3.

Since we're talking hull capabilities, is there any way a TAF handle a fuel motor if today? De-tuned and slowly work it's way up. Would the W drive just generate too much lift?

Cool topic Bruce. Btw, I haven't forgotten about those nuts I owe you. Did y'all enjoy your brisk weather?

Blown Gas Flats to Rope...
    In loving memory of
    Chris "Church Mouse" Blevens

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post
    Since we're talking hull capabilities, is there any way a TAF handle a fuel motor if today? De-tuned and slowly work it's way up. Would the W drive just generate too much lift?

Cool topic Bruce. Btw, I haven't forgotten about those nuts I owe you. Did y'all enjoy your brisk weather?

In loving memory of
    Conversely I didnt forget the parts list
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MrDenton View Post

In loving memory of
    It was tried and it didn't work too well the first time around (dual props)
    Name:  450x600_Twinpropflat2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  17.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Point being, THEN, they loaded liquid dynamite into the cylinders. Today they don't. That's why the flats then were faster and QUICKER than the flats today. 2MM was only asking about the speeds then compared to today. Engine technology is allowing them to catch up. But its hard to compete against nitrogenated fuel with booze

You no longer can really compare the 2. The TAF are running 320 feet less and its makes hitting 175 plus a little more difficult. But then, they didn't charge the tree back then like they do now. But they still have less room to get to speed.

But a Donovan on crack compared to a Brad 6 on booze. I'll take the Donovan everytime.
    The speeds and ETs were what they were because of the gearing they had to run with the rolling start. We are trying to get a fuel class back back up and running because of the new start but they are having none of it. WIth the dead stop, the volatility is taken away a little bit because you can now burn the prop and the weight of the capsule on the nose.

There are many guys that have gone over 160 in a flat bottom. Probably 8 hands. But not that many have been over 170. I am gonna guess 2 hands. When they ran the twin prop ATTA boat they kept cutting down the propellers because of all the lift they created but they endied up cutting them so small they were completely inefficient.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardguru View Post
    The speeds and ETs were what they were because of the gearing they had to run with the rolling start. We are trying to get a fuel class back back up and running because of the new start but they are having none of it. WIth the dead stop, the volatility is taken away a little bit because you can now burn the prop and the weight of the capsule on the nose.
    So how much slower would they have run if they started like they do now?

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    There are many guys that have gone over 160 in a flat bottom. Probably 8 hands. But not that many have been over 170. I am gonna guess 2 hands. When they ran the twin prop ATTA boat they kept cutting down the propellers because of all the lift they created but they endied up cutting them so small they were completely inefficient.
    What is/was your top speed so far??? IF my memory is right you are up well over 10MPH since the last 3 years at the beginning of the red shazam...

Has anything changed to push the limit of a flattie beyond what the fastest blown fuel boats went back in the day??? Wings/aerodynamics with the capsule/etc...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 01-15-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    So how much slower would they have run if they started like they do now?
    I think you would still see those kinds of speeds but the ETs would be crazy low. You can load these things much harder now with the new start. Its hard to describe because with a flat bottom you have to be able to drive them with all that power. It's not just a point and shoot deal.

Bruce we have run 171 twice with Kevin's boat and at Havasu went 175. Normally though we are in the low to mid 160s in Kevins boat and mid to high 150s in Shazam. This all about to change though as we brought on Jim Lange who built Cole Flats back in the day. You will see passes in the 4's this year.

This all about to change though as we brought on Jim Lange who built Cole Flats back in the day. You will see passes in the 4's this year.
    Good move! Can't wait to see the numbers!