Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist find

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoC653 View Post
    So where does a non-Ford guy look on an old 390 to find out what grade it is? I have a couple laying out in the barn. If I remember right, one is a 68 bock and the other is an early 70s.
    Obviously knowing the origin or history of the engine helps... Knowing what kind of heads are OR were on the engine gives you some clues but most importantly pull out the freeze plugs (which you will do anyway) and check the gaps between the cyls, you can use drill bit shanks to get an idea of the gap (like a feeler gauge)...

Read here and go see what you have : http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a.../t-639277.html
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mouzer View Post
    he said something about the manifold is from a 427 so its the good fe motor and he was stoked to get it..
    Son he MIGHY have paid 1500 for a 500 manifold sitting on a broken 100 dollar 390. Sounds like a deal 2MM would make.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Oh noooooo Mouz... It's junk, ole Bob said so... A dime a dozen...
    The manifolds not. Tell us EVERYTHING ELSE you know about the deal on the motor Bruce. Is it MR or a LR. Steel crank or cast. Cap screw rods or thru bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I'm about ready to part out the Mandella, what's the market for Hm scoop 'n rocker covers?

Attachment 30867
    Scoop is worth almost as much as the manifold and carbs sitting under it.
    i just sold same h/m scoop for a 100 and those same fin valve covers for 50
    You gave it away. If you called me, you could have tripled you money on both. Maybe 4 times on the valve covers if they were HM

So where does a non-Ford guy look on an old 390 to find out what grade it is? I have a couple laying out in the barn. If I remember right, one is a 68 bock and the other is an early 70s.
    The difference between 390s aside from numbers to a collect is not worth talking about. Very Very Very few 390s are much different than any other 390. 391 truck blocks, and few HiPo blocks have thicker walls that allow an additional .020 bore, and the main webs are a little stronger. Most 390s can't be built with enough power to hurt themselves anyway with some form of power adder or stroking the shit of them.

Unless of course you are buying the block from 2MM. He has the inside track to all the really cool FE stuff, like blocks that can take a 4.5 bore, But then he has already demonstrated he can't add or subtract.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    $50 as per GN7
    Getting pretty fucking tired of you putting words in my mouth dickhead.

You work out those bore numbers for me yet genius? Or would you like me to do it for you, and show you for the moron you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Son he MIGHY have paid 1500 for a 500 manifold sitting on a broken 100 dollar 390. Sounds like a deal 2MM would make.

The manifolds not. Tell us EVERYTHING ELSE you know about the deal on the motor Bruce. Is it MR or a LR. Steel crank or cast. Cap screw rods or thru bolt.

Scoop is worth almost as much as the manifold and carbs sitting under it.

You gave it away. If you called me, you could have tripled you money on both. Maybe 4 times on the valve covers if they were HM

The difference between 390s aside from numbers to a collect is not worth talking about. Very Very Very few 390s are much different than any other 390. 391 truck blocks, and few HiPo blocks have thicker walls that allow an additional .020 bore, and the main webs are a little stronger. Most 390s can't be built with enough power to hurt themselves anyway with some form of power adder or stroking the shit of them.

Unless of course you are buying the block from 2MM. He has the inside track to all the really cool FE stuff, like blocks that can take a 4.5 bore, But then he has already demonstrated he can't add or subtract.
    LOL not buying the block. The last owner of my house was into 69 Cougars with 428s. He made a couple 428 convertibles and restored another one that was an original 428 Ram Jet car. I think the one 390 was in one of the Cougars originally. It is a car motor from what I was told. But, I was told they aren't worth building for boats, so it just sits in the barn.

LOL not buying the block. The last owner of my house was into 69 Cougars with 428s. He made a couple 428 convertibles and restored another one that was an original 428 Ram Jet car. I think the one 390 was in one of the Cougars originally. It is a car motor from what I was told. But, I was told they aren't worth building for boats, so it just sits in the barn.
    I understand. 390s are worth rebuilding for boats. I would never even consider sticking a FE in a newer boat like a B boat. I don't think I could make myself put one in something like a bubble deck Sanger. A 60s lake cruiser, no problem. Most of the older boats can't handle much more power a 390 today can make. If you can find a 428 crank cheap, so much the better.
    I fought valiantly to include 360 FE truck engines that are dirt cheap into the SE class. It would have made the Mopars that much easier to clear thru as well. Stop the BS of bore and stroke as just require it be under 366 or 370, factory heads with a restricted valve size for that head, and be done with it. Who gives a shit if its a big block or small block. You bore a truck 360 .010 over and its the same bore stroke as a 351W or SBC with a 350 crank bored .060 over. If cost was the prime mover for the class, then not allowing FEs was a fatal flaw in the thinking. 360 truck engines sell for scrap weight, They have yet to build a 351W with factory heads that could hang with a 360.

One of the hardest running FEs I ever built was a 360 crank in a 390 bored to 4.125. It hauled ass and spun 8000 and kicked a lot of small black ass until it cracked a cylinder wall. And I did say small block ass, not BBC ass. But it was only 374 ci

390s are not worth a tinkers damn as a performance engine, but they scream nostalgia if dressed properly. 366 Chevy truck engines are a waste of iron, but if you drop a roots and hat on one, its still a cool looking engine.

go on E bay and look what those scoops are going for, I have one at home along with the knurled nuts to hold it down . Seen them go for over $ 1500 .

Quote Originally Posted by GN 22 View Post
    go on E bay and look what those scoops are going for, I have one at home along with the knurled nuts to hold it down . Seen them go for over $ 1500 .
    Welcome to www.hotboat.com !!

i just sign up for ebay...guess for now on im gonna tripple my money..gonna put all my parts on there on 5 day sales..ive had 2 of those scoops and like i said i sold them for $150
    FUGITIVE RECOVER/CHEATING SPOUSE/SKIP TRACE/STALKER

i just sign up for ebay...guess for now on im gonna tripple my money..gonna put all my parts on there on 5 day sales..ive had 2 of those scoops and like i said i sold them for $150
    That's because the majority of your clientele is the "poe boyz" and I am sure they appreciate it. Its a cool thing you do Mike. It helps keep the sport alive and old boats on the water. Its why there were dozens that jumped down PB admins throat when they tried to shut you down. Never change what you do. But some things like that scoop, or a tri power, specially with original crabs, or a Ford dual quad manifold, or even a 427 Ford if you should trip over one, is something that will make you more money on Ebay

390s with Glenwood manifolds and Nicson timing covers you can ship to 2MM. He will trade you for mini gold ingots because he thinks anything FE is worth gold.

I've been following this thread and while my 2 cents doesn't matter...I have to say, you guys are unreal with all of your knowledge. It's so impressive.

Sent from my Bat Cave