Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New project.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cab_01 View Post
    I am in Jamul, CA. About 30 min to the border. The guy that does my body work is the nephew of a good friend. He did a 68 Camaro for me years ago. He does outstanding work. If you look in the original pic that I posted. The rear fender has a big dent in it. The fender in the pic above is that fender. Also, if you look at the firewall in the pic before prime. I had him weld all of the holes up except the 3 that I need. You can not tell they were ever there.

He always tells me to bring him business, so if you are interested shoot me a PM. This truck had a lot of body work This was a ranch truck that was beat up. He charged me 3k for everything.
    The 3k is for the body resto and putting it in primer right??? Not the paint work???

How hard is it to get the stuff across the border, what is the paperwork/customs process???
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

No the 3k was for everything. Even mounting the body, doors and bed back on the frame.

The border was easy. When I took the fenders, bed and doors down Mexico charged me an temporary import tax of $100. They want to make sure you aren't dumping stuff there. When i took the cab down I just showed them the registration and they checked vin number and we were good to go, no charge. When we took the frame down they looked at the vin on frame and no charge. When i bring it back it will be together and US customs will be ok with the registration.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cab_01 View Post
    No the 3k was for everything. Even mounting the body, doors and bed back on the frame.

The border was easy. When I took the fenders, bed and doors down Mexico charged me an temporary import tax of $100. They want to make sure you aren't dumping stuff there. When i took the cab down I just showed them the registration and they checked vin number and we were good to go, no charge. When we took the frame down they looked at the vin on frame and no charge. When i bring it back it will be together and US customs will be ok with the registration.
    Nice.... What do you know about the paint/clear????
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Your son is gonna be very proud to rock the Chevy restoration.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    It's probably better stuff than we can use here in Cali. They don't have the AQMD and CARB telling them what they can and can't use. All the stuff the shops are using in So Cal is water base, paint wise. Clear is still Urethane though.

Nice truck resto. I like your approach, start from the frame and work out from there, well done! I deal with a body shop in San Bernardino that is a bunch of brothers, all from Mexico. They learned their trade from their family back in Mexico. Their work is second to none, and they do it mostly old school compared to many shops. Hammer and dolly, tin snips, fixing panels many shops would replace. They do all their own fab, paint, air brush, mechanical installs, all in the family. They make shops like West Coast Customs look silly. They did the custom car show circuit for a while winning everything in sight before focusing on a more traditional style shop, that's where the money is. If you know who your dealing with in Mexico, you can get some ridiculous work done very cheap down there. The trick is knowing who your dealing with. You don't want your pride and joy to come up missing once it crosses the border.

Coming along nice

Cool build! Can't shake a stick at free.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Sorry I did not see this. It is a base coat clear coat. Actually 3 coats of clear.

Here I am picking her up min Tecate.

Tucked into bed

It came out very nice!! Is it 4wd?

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2