Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My week this week

Needed to do a refam to Reno, this is me Thursday coming back from Reno over Donner pass running the California Zephyr passing through Troy on my way to Oakland.....breathtaking trip...love love love this time of year on this trip....enjoy!!!

Name:  zcz.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  77.7 KB

What a cool pic!!

So do you just stop, get out of the cab, snap a pic and make an announcement to the passengers "sorry folks I had to stop for a pic so I can post it on hoatboat." Or did u have a random friend waiting in a random spot in the forest snapping pics?

Wendi
    Very pretty

Beautiful picture!

McRibbie has a good point

Sent from my Bat Cave!!!

GRADS
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrib View Post
    so do you just stop, get out of the cab, snap a pic and make an announcement to the passengers "sorry folks i had to stop for a pic so i can post it on hoatboat." or did u have a random friend waiting in a random spot in the forest snapping pics? :p
    lmao!!

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    So do you just stop, get out of the cab, snap a pic and make an announcement to the passengers "sorry folks I had to stop for a pic so I can post it on hoatboat." Or did u have a random friend waiting in a random spot in the forest snapping pics?
    That train is one of the most photographed trains in the country. I have never ever run one and not had several pics taken of my journey. As a result, I have become friends with the guys who go out there to take the photos, and they email them to me so I have them when I get home. In this case, as in a lot of them, these guys, we call them railbuffs, go out of their way to get artistic photos of the trains. This guy hiked a good distance up into the mountains go get to this spot, and it paid off well. As a result I get them emailed to me from lots of folks..this is one sent to me a couple weeks ago of me heading south to BFD at speed, and then leaving Fresno on a cold chilly night......

Last edited by Tishimself; 12-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.

GRADS
    I have a question. I noticed in the first part of the video you were pushing the cars. Are there any differences between pulling and pushing? When you're pushing how do you see what's in front of you?

It also seems that if there was a derailment pushing would make the accident worse than if it was pulling?

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    I have a question. I noticed in the first part of the video you were pushing the cars. Are there any differences between pulling and pushing? When you're pushing how do you see what's in front of you?

It also seems that if there was a derailment pushing would make the accident worse than if it was pulling?
    We have a cabcar. the lead car in the consist has a full cab in it. So I am actually in the rear car running the train, not in the engine. At BFD I cut out the cabcar, cut in the engine, and run the engine back to Merced..that second part of that video I am running from the engine....they did this to save time at distant points by not having to turn the train around....not sure I like the cabcar...but I have made peace with it...

One of these days I need to take a trip on a train. I've always wanted to do that.