Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changing out shifter controls

Has anyone changed out their shifter controls from a Gaffrig to Livorsi's recently? The one's I've used on other boats shift so much more smoothly and they look quite a bit better. It looks fairly simple but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you post a pic of the bottom? Imagine they are the same as Mercury Zero Effort, there not to bad especially if it's one shift and one throttle.
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Can you post a pic of the bottom? Imagine they are the same as Mercury Zero Effort, there not to bad especially if it's one shift and one throttle.
    I haven't seen a picture of the bottom. Good question though. I talked with someone from CP performance and it sounded like just the 2 cables. The only question being if the existing cables needed to be changed out, it would be a little more work. I was just curious if that was all that it entailed.

GRADS
    I've done it and it's actually pretty easy. There are also some wires involved.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Easy, that's what I want to hear. Gotta be honest, I'm not the most prolific mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    X2, mine have little hooks on them to connect the cables to controller. As Grads said you will have trim wires to plug in or splice, if you have trim on handle. All in all its a do it yourself project.
    CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
    Is there an installation diagram online or could CP send you one? If so, it should say the cut-out required and the hole locations for the screws. You could then measure what you already have.

Huntington Beach, CA/ Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Just make sure you identify and mark what side the cables are connected to. They are a push/ pull system to one side of the shifter will have the opposite effect.

I just learned this when I went from my throttle cable came from the stern side of the motor to now it comes from the bow side of the motor.

Other than that, like GRADS said. It's easy.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and smokin, shouting "Holy Shit ...What A Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Is there an installation diagram online or could CP send you one? If so, it should say the cut-out required and the hole locations for the screws. You could then measure what you already have.
    I would imagine so. Unfortunately my boat is out in Havasu and I won't be back out there until the beginning of April to measure. It looks to be the same size.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Very helpful!