Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Whats the secret to running a 1000 hp thru a Eagle crank ? Lots of water ?
    They are tougher than you think. I never run one, but the 305 did and never broke it. The snout is the weakest point, not the crank itself.
    We torn the snout off a Scat, but that was at Puddingstone, and that place and Burley are the hardest on the crank snout by far.
    Between driving the blower and the boat off the snout, its the first thing to go, not the crank itself.

The longest lasting crank I ever ran was a stock GM LS6 crank, and its still in one piece.
    They all can fail the snout. This is a Sonny Bryant billet in a N/A 850 HP GN, with about 4 seasons on it.

Name:  gluck's crank.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  99.4 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 12-05-2013 at 03:07 PM.

This is the biggest concern with the lower end. 6000 rpm and no oil pressure on the start. Other than this, and the crank snout, we don't give much thought about the crank and rods. Valve train and pistons is our biggest concern.

Name:  9thanks7.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  84.8 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 12-05-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Name:  gncenter.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by gn7; 12-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.

I can't count how many times I was shooting a gn race and the boat I was zoomed on disappeared behind a wall of water in the turn. If you didn't know better you'd think there was a flip or a spin out, but nope that usually not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerRun388 View Post
    Sharp, when a GN gets washed down like the pic GN7 posted, do the carbs, ignition, engine etc.. suffer can water damage?
    Not usually....

Quote Originally Posted by PokerRun388 View Post
    Sharp, when a GN gets washed down like the pic GN7 posted, do the carbs, ignition, engine etc.. suffer can water damage?
    Its hard to see, but most of the water is being pushed away from the boat, Very little of it, if any lands on the engine.
    That kind of wash of other boats, specially on the outside of a cruiser is what you have to avoid. The 20 sets up a wall of water like that when its turned in hard, usually some sort of defensive move, like that was. The 21 sets up a wall of water on the outside, and very little on the inside, Its a chine thing that makes them different. Its also what causes the 21 to stand up on its side off the turns sometimes, and the 20 never does. The outside chine is well out of the water when a 20 turns.

Believe it or not, the worse wash down we ever suffered was at the 300 enduro, when a driver cut across Bill's path. the enduro can be a little risky because the vast majority of the guys out there don't race, and they can do some pretty stupid things.

Its situations like this that are a much bigger concern than the water that comes off your own boat. Specially in the salt water of Long Beach.
    Name:  wash out.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  27.1 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 12-21-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    BUMP for my favorite race class...

I just cant let this fall off the first page...

IF you wanna know how to build an engine that will LAST under extreme torture conditions, a drive, a hull, ANYTHING...

Ask a seasoned GN racer/crew/builder/rigger...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 01-08-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    BUMP for my favorite race class...

I just cant let this fall off the first page...

IF you wanna know how to build an engine that will LAST under extreme torture conditions, a drive, a hull, ANYTHING...

Ask a seasoned GN racer/crew/builder/rigger...
    If you had a clue to the life span of the average GN engine. Some are a little longer than others. Some are so short they couldn't finish a K boat heat. But they lay down some "blistering" laps that impress people like you.

"Before you can finish first, first you have to.........."