Page 92 of 101 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post

I love this thread!! Where do I get one of those crowns?

[QUOTE=spike morelli;114983]Isn't the outboard boat pictured, a Regatta Hull? ( Post 435 ) A friend had one in the sixties/early seventies.[/QUOTE

It is a Regatta with out a doubt. In fact I would bet it was bought from West Anaheim Marine. I can remember rigging at least 3 twin engine Regatta's 157 with 2 1250 for a guy name Jack Erwin called it Black Jack used it for Drag Racing it had a wood deck. Ed Lane from Dick Sheerer Marine ended up with it I remember seeing it in his garage. Then there were 2 of the bigger boats think they were called 174 or 176 both with 1350's. They were definiately a hand full It might not be what you want but they were all you wanted.
    Last edited by doubleeagle; 06-28-2014 at 07:24 AM.

[QUOTE=doubleeagle;118382]
    Quote Originally Posted by spike morelli View Post
    Isn't the outboard boat pictured, a Regatta Hull? ( Post 435 ) A friend had one in the sixties/early seventies.[/QUOTE

It is a Regatta with out a doubt. In fact I would bet it was bought from West Anaheim Marine. I can remember rigging at least 3 twin engine Regatta's 157 with 2 1250 for a guy name Jack Erwin called it Black Jack used it for Drag Racing it had a wood deck. Ed Lane from Dick Sheerer Marine ended up with it I remember seeing it in his garage. Then there were 2 of the bigger boats think they were called 174 or 176 both with 1350's. They were definiately a hand full It might be what you want but they were all you wanted.
    I don't know what it is, but I can tell you the bottom looks just like the forward bottom of a Rayson GN and the first one of those I've seen in picture was 68. So who copied who....?

I grew up a HUGE thunder boat fan... I lived 100 miles north of Seattle, but I swear I could hear the big V12 Merlin's roaring on Lake Washington during Seafair. Even listening to the broadcast on the radio was exciting!!!... then,,, THIS happened, I remember watching this piece of crap on tv... the Miss Circus Circus canard boat... I'm so glad this was short lived!!!!Name:  circus-01.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  21.9 KB
    CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?!?... :0D...
    http://youtu.be/SvQKEvYW8QU

[QUOTE=Sharp shooter;118400]
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleeagle View Post

I don't know what it is, but I can tell you the bottom looks just like the forward bottom of a Rayson GN and the first one of those I've seen in picture was 68. So who copied who....?
    I'll have to go back through my arcives but I think Wilkerson built these starting about 1966 or so. Even his earlier boats had that type of nose They were I believe inspired from Allen's and Kennedy's from the 50's. The Regatta was a very shallow V with a couple flat strakes and a very needle type nose and those very reversed flared sides
    I have to say after looking at the Rayson Craft on the page before (post 435) the foward bottoms do look a lot alike. The chine line would be drasticly different because of the almost arrow head shape from the transom to nose.

[QUOTE=doubleeagle;118420]

I'll have to go back through my arcives but I think Wilkerson built these starting about 1966 or so. Even his earlier boats had that type of nose They were I believe inspired from Allen's and Kennedy's from the 50's. The Regatta was a very shallow V with a couple flat strakes and a very needle type nose and those very reversed flared sides
    I have to say after looking at the Rayson Craft on the page before (post 435) the foward bottoms do look a lot alike. The chine line would be drasticly different because of the almost arrow head shape from the transom to nose.
    I have some regatta ads from 66 that definitely share similarities in the forward bottom area but these boats look smaller and lower freeboard to Rudy's GN. They advertise a reverse strake bottom. Maybe Rudy got his inspiration from these Regatta hulls...?

[QUOTE=Sharp shooter;118400]
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleeagle View Post

I don't see the resemblence

Boy the quotes sure got messed up shows me posting Sharp Shooters post and vice verse. After looking at the Rayson Craft again, I think its just seeing shallow flatter type strake on a shallow entry type nose other than that I don't see much resemblance either. With that said at first glance they do look similar. My Dad had experimented with Shallow type strakes on the later ArrowCraft Boats they built and raced back in the late 50's. They had a 13'6" with twin 78 mercs it had a problem grabbing a chine when coming off the throttles the strakes helped out big time.

[QUOTE=gn7;118434]

I don't see the resemblence
    I do but only front bottom area. Far from a perfect match... Maybe there's a different regatta hull to compare...?