Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    We touched on this topic before and I recall you saying that all of the cruisers were cut down before the tops were put on... That is very interesting to me and I do believe that I can see the difference in the height of the transoms like your saying...

I recall Eason saying that they took EXTRA EXTRA out of the bottom of the FAT ELEPHANT BASTARD and had one hell of a time putting the top on the due to the extreme mismatch...

I'm sorry but I think they just look bitchen sitting in the water and I wouldnt be the least bit scared running a hull like this in LOTO, not at 100 but maybe 80

Jerry, in RiverRats I recall just a SHORT clip of Pat in his elephant bastard, is there more OR some good clear pics??? Caroline dug out the photo album of this boat when I was at their house a few months ago... Their girls were LITTLE ...

The reason there wasn't more video is because the boat was ill handling. They used it quite a bit when they had it.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPartridge View Post
    The owner's name was Gene and I want to say he may have worked for Rudy at some point, can't remember for sure. When I mentioned that I had a checkerboard Schiada flat he told me he was there when Leonard popped the first glass boat out of the mold. .
    The fact that a guy that worked for Rudy was there when the first glass Schiada was popped is more believable than many might think. Leonard actually worked for Rudy for a short time before starting to make glass boats, and its more than probable that an employee of Rudy's was there when they laid up the first one.

It sometimes amazes me the people that worked for Rudy at one time or another, including Poty, Tom Papp, and Greer Rush. Almost the entire modifications to Greer's Howard that became the Rush was done in Rudy's shop. The first Poty is nothing more than a 17 ft Rayson.
    Last edited by gn7; 12-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    The reason there wasn't more video is because the boat was ill handling. They used it quite a bit when they had it.
    I was kind of kidding there Jerry. He did use it, while he had it, he just didn't have it very long.
    Its only 2 ounces heavier than a small bag of chips.
    The 21 that Doug Lightfoot has doesn't handle like the original one either, for the same reason. The damn things flex too much.
    The current GN24 is nowhere near as stable as the old one. But its lighter, and a little quicker.
    Last edited by gn7; 12-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    All 21 Cruisers you see racing and that vast majority of the recreational cruisers have less freeboard than the mold. There are very few full height cruisers out there, and when you see one, you know it. I have only seen one.
    I think there may be a slight height difference with the boats that have the crown deck like the B&W pics I posted, the boat in the as that Shooter posted, and the ones Ryan posted. I believe the flat ski deck like the ones on the majority of the boats racing GN. The only crown deck that comes to mind that raced recently is Devine's GN47. I don't think its a lot different in the freeboard, but I think its slightly taller. The deck plays a role in how far they cut down the hull. The more they cut the sides, the shorter and narrower the boat gets and the deck doesn't fit properly and needs modifying.
    The mold is about 6" taller than the boats you see racing GN. Most of the boats that are taller than the GNs are less than 2 inches taller, even though they look much taller. A full height 21 cruiser is HUGE looking. The one and only full height cruiser I have seen was a outboard center console whaler. The guy worked for Rudy back in the 70s and uses it for fishing in the ocean and runs to Catalina.

They have been built in every conceivable configuration you can think of. V drive, jet, outboard, open bow, whaler. Not too many boats that do very well in competition, ski, circle and offshore, usually do well as recreation boats. He sold a ton of them.

Thank you for taking the time and responding with this great information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    I'll look.
    I look forward to seeing what ever you find, Thanks!

One more request, Gary Owens pix.

.Name:  viewer copy.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  136.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    .Name:  viewer copy.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  136.0 KB

1970...maybe 71.

Very cool photo, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I look forward to seeing what ever you find, Thanks!

One more request, Gary Owens pix.
    Hell that was easy

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Hell that was easy

Name:  BFF How bout that-001.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  303.7 KB How 'Bout That
    NDBA Blown Fuel Flat record holder ... 137.82 mph Howard Custom Boats, Howard Brown driver .... 1960's
    Looks like the family ski boat with a Blown Chrysler in it!
    Last edited by westair; 12-17-2013 at 10:14 PM.