Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Name:  interceptor.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  63.9 KB

This one is dedicated to everyone who thinks tunnel design is "new" technology. lol

Name:  viking.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  175.3 KB

Here are a couple boats my Grandpa had in the 60's:
    Name:  Parker 1960.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  64.5 KB
    Name:  Parker 1962.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  50.4 KB

Good stuff! ..... I guess they tried to revive racing at the Salton Sea recently but it just didn't workout? seems like the perfect place but was it just to much salt? Interesting place for sure!
    Last edited by westair; 11-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Check it out Bob. 1961 Powerboat Mag

Attachment 25461

Attachment 25462

Like I said Jerry, 1961 is about time I first remember being around boats. One uncle built a Stevens 18ft with the 392 Hemi, and another (bothers) built a Rayson. Both had outboards prior to that, and they both had Comstock stickers on the engine covers. Its the very first marine shop I remember being in. I got the idea he was almost God like.
    That's a cool article. It says it was in Ocean Park, which today really doesn't exist. Its now Santa Monica. It may have always been part of Santa Monica, but it borders Venice, and back then it was more like Venice of the time than Santa Monica. There was an amusement park in the Ocean Park area called Pacific Ocean Park, or P.O.P. In the summer a bunch of us would ride the bus there. For a dollar you could ride almost of the rides there were, as many time as you liked. Some rides you had to pay extra for, but not many. Comstock's was on the way from the bus stop, and of course we would have to check out all the boats that were being fixed there.

Rudy's was the first boat factory I ever saw, and about the same time. I can remember going to Glenwood about that time to pick up a STOCK Ford 406 FE timing cover that had been modified to take a Neovane pump for my uncles Rayson. Cool stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Name:  img122.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  123.2 KBName:  Jeff Hondo.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  71.4 KB
    First boat, bought it from my brother, 60's Rayson Craft .... pic was taken about 1975 or so in Havasu, I think I was 16 or 17, didn't even have anything to pull it with .... a friend had the truck and worked out great until he decided to top me and bought this new Hondo, probably in 77. Pic was taken at Big Bend looking across at Buckskin.

Name:  Old River Pics.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  71.2 KB
    Here is my friends tow vehicle, 1975 Ford 4x4 .... brand new, that was the deal if I got the boat .... we walked into Board Ford in Whittier and drove out. The Rayson looked great behind it ... we were stylin!
    This pic was taken somewhere on the river but not sure where ....... me standing.

Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Name:  Old River Pics.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  71.2 KB
    Here is my friends tow vehicle, 1975 Ford 4x4 .... brand new, that was the deal if I got the boat .... we walked into Board Ford in Whittier and drove out. The Rayson looked great behind it ... we were stylin!
    This pic was taken somewhere on the river but not sure where ....... me standing.
    Did your buddies Wallabys melt to the ground out there??

If you were into boats in Southern California back in the '40s and '50s, Comstock Marine was the place to go. My dad bought a 14' Rockholt runabout (all Mahogany) built in Marysville, CA from Comstock in 1957 along with a 35HP Johnson outboard (the fancy gold one with the chrome cowling) which replaced our old 12' Kelsoncraft and it went to Lake Arrowhead. In late 1959 we got mesmerized by Powercats and bought a few of them too. About that same time we switched from Comstock to Al's Outboard Service (Al Zink) on Venice Blvd. near Marina del Rey (the marina wasn't there then). Albert Jr. is still in the marine business in Lake Havasu at Al's Outboard. Ted Miller who worked at Al's in Venice as a mechanic in the '60s has had his own marine dealership in Boulder City, NV (All Seasons Marine) for years.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Like I said Jerry, 1961 is about time I first remember being around boats. One uncle built a Stevens 18ft with the 392 Hemi, and another (bothers) built a Rayson. Both had outboards prior to that, and they both had Comstock stickers on the engine covers. Its the very first marine shop I remember being in. I got the idea he was almost God like.
    That's a cool article. It says it was in Ocean Park, which today really doesn't exist. Its now Santa Monica. It may have always been part of Santa Monica, but it borders Venice, and back then it was more like Venice of the time than Santa Monica. There was an amusement park in the Ocean Park area called Pacific Ocean Park, or P.O.P. In the summer a bunch of us would ride the bus there. For a dollar you could ride almost of the rides there were, as many time as you liked. Some rides you had to pay extra for, but not many. Comstock's was on the way from the bus stop, and of course we would have to check out all the boats that were being fixed there.

Rudy's was the first boat factory I ever saw, and about the same time. I can remember going to Glenwood about that time to pick up a STOCK Ford 406 FE timing cover that had been modified to take a Neovane pump for my uncles Rayson. Cool stuff. Thanks for posting it.
    Bob, you have an amazing memory!!! Isn't Pacific Ocean Park the place represented in the skateboard movie The Lords of Dogtown? I think it is. Did you ever skate or surf there Bob? It became a rough area didn't it...?

My dad grew up 1/2 a mile away from Rudy's shop. All I remember about that area was the trolley tracks in the streets.