Page 14 of 101 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I think the are just Speedmasters with set back boxes, and different lowers. They could be Konrads, but I think they are just KAMA/SSM's

Probably just some variation of this drive.
    Did the boat have tripples? You can see one unit dow low in the center and set back and a second unit up higher/forward... Cant see if there is a third on the other side...

Wild........ I should have asked my question more clearly, just looks like a "unique" arrangement of the drives....

Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Very nice thread gentlemen...cheers
    Hey brother, welcome to HB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    Thanks for the info Bob.

Doesn't the GN actually measure 19' 6" and they call it a 20? I'm a cloudy on the details. What about the decks, there's at least 2 and one drops down in the front.

I interviewed Rudy (one of many times) and we got on the subject of these bottoms and he said the same thing to me about the U-9 having the same bottom. I peaked under the boat and thought, it sure doesn't look the same, but I wasn't going to question King Rudy. lol

Where's the Edelbrock boat now?
    Yeah, the 20 GN measure right around 19'2" to the transom. The deck that is flat across the dash rise and doesn't have the cut down gunnels is the early deck, as well as the "latest" deck if you get one from Cucci, who has the mold mine, Kenny's, and Art's was pulled from. That mold is a splash off Jackson's boat.

Rex Phillips is also laying up the "early" deck in CF and epoxy. Not sure how he came to have the mold, or what/who's was splashed from. The new GN running, Black Jack GN 21 is out Rex's mold and rigged using measurements from mine.

The white hull below was laid up by Schiada. Not sure who is behind the making of these, but I think Wally(Armo Navy) has a something to do with it. I believe its a splash off the Yosemite Sam boat.

Now you can get a 20ft Rayson from 3 sources now, and both the early and late deck.

Rudy told me he went to the later deck with the peak to "update" the boat, and to make it match the 21ft cruiser when he tooled that, and decided to go back to the cut down gunnels of the flat bottoms. So really, in my mind, the later GN is a cross of "old school" cut down gunnels, and new dash rise.

If I could tool a NEW deck, it would have the cut down gunnels, and a flat deck rise ala an early LP.
    I don't care the peak on the deck, and I like the cut down gunnels.

Boat laid up by Schiada, I have no idea where this boat is.

CF and epoxy hull laid up by Rex Phillips. I like to buy this hull. Price is right too!

As for what happened to Edelbrocks Big Red E. That's an interesting question. I talked to Vic about a couple years ago at one of his benefit car shows he has, and he said it went to so Africa. This article by Mel Zikes during that period backs that up. However, Steveo tells me he knows a guy that had it, or still does. I think there may have been more than one. My understanding is, the one that won the Elsinore 500 in 68 went to So Africa.
    This is kind of an interesting article because it also answers the earliern question of the 20 V verses the 20 flat, running or winning the first race. Well, it talks about Vics V bottom GN winning and being sold, and of Rudy and Ron Larsons recent win at the Orange Bowl 250, which was won by the yellow and blue Boss powered flat, a year later, and both wins were firsts for both hulls. If you don't count Rudy using a 20ft V to win the World Outboard Championship in Nov of 67(a few months before Vic's win)

Name:  Mel Zikes edelbrock.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  147.7 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 11-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Ok, Bob so whats up with Bonicis's Deck? His boat goes way back I think.

The Yosemite Sam was a successful boat back when. Is it still down south in the heart of moonshine country.

Bindings sure have come a long way. 1969

Name:  rogue.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  obrien.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  101.3 KB

Eliminator Boats humble beginning. '69

Name:  Eliminator69.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  johnson1001970.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  70.0 KB

I've never seen one of these but they were definitely advertised well. Anyone ever see or own one?

Name:  horizon.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  75.8 KB

Ok, Bob so whats up with Bonicis's Deck? His boat goes way back I think.

The Yosemite Sam was a successful boat back when. Is it still down south in the heart of moonshine country.
    Yosemite Sam is in Tennessee I believe. The owner is on PB every once in a while and has called me a couple times looking for parts.
    He is on PB every so often under the user name Mr Kilowatt. He owns one of the SK Raysons that Army Haines of Haines Electric ran. He also owns the old Yosemite Sam, that Fitzgerald, Duff and Rankin drove, or were scheduled to drive in the BWR 300 a couple years ago.

Funny, always thought that Yosemite Sam was a rocket. It kicked some serious as in its day. It held the kilo record for quite awhile at 95 MPH for a long time until Kenny's Family Tradition GN13 driven by Lance Faulkner broke it at 112. Today, you better being doing 108-110 on the back straight of first lap, or you'll be 3rd by the time you get to the second turn.

I've never seen one of these but they were definitely advertised well. Anyone ever see or own one?

Name:  horizon.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  75.8 KB
    Yeah I have seen few. Some I wish I hadn't. The tunnel cruiser being one of them. That's by far the best pic of one I have ever seen. Maybe that's why they use it. Not the best looking "cat" out there at the time. But a little ahead of its time. I understand Jones had some hand in the bottom of them. They made a couple late in the company's history that were a little more pleasant to the eye. Bill Holmes sold the company and it folded shortly later.
    I will say one thing about them, they were built stout.
    I have to give some credit to the guy who owns the boat in the ad. At least he knew what it was and named it aptly .

Last edited by gn7; 11-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.