Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post

My very first boat was 1973 18' Tahiti Tiger with a Berk squirt....I ran the shit outta that thing for many years....I've had many different boats since then,now I went back to the Ol' s'kool stuff (all I can afford..haha) now I'm runnin' my lil 77 18' Spectra with a berk squirt...all original....and I am diggin' this thread,big time!

Is that the Stevens jet Mike?
    Yup... "gave aired" out new meaning

The picture in this Berkley ad that Sharp Shooter posted is from a early jet boat tech article in Boating News/Hot Boat. All those boats are basically like the ad says, V drive flats setup with Berkleys. This was before they figured out that they were better off using a outboard type shallow V hull design than a inboard v drive flat hull. Those things had to be a hand full to drive.

I really think the Brummett/Mandella 20ft Cruiser is a cool boat, but not as a jet. I don't think you could get me to drive the thing.

Name:  mandella jet.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  49.0 KB
    Last edited by gn7; 11-20-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The big Chris Cats and Shadow Cats were the chiznit when they first hit offshore.
    Ramos used a 30ft Chris Cat to win his Offshore Championship. They are still cool boats.

30FT Chris Cat
    Attachment 25848

30FT Shadow Cat
    Attachment 25849

Before Gentry got hurt, they use to build these a block down the street from our shop. Loved going down there and seeing these monsters build. Sometimes they would have a twin turbo BBC on the dyno and they tested them like they were trying to break them.
    48ft Gentry Eagle/Cougar
    Attachment 25850
    Bob, can you tell me what kind of drive set up i am looking at on that top picture (Jesse James)??? I cant make it out from the pic but it sure enough looks different...

If you click on my video from the 1st ever Boat racers reunion (I know you've seen it) you'll hear Nick say he's been full time in the biz since 1958 and as a hobby since 1948. He actually says 42 years ago and 52 years ago and the video was shot in 2000.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Brummett ad.
    That video is awesome.... lot of knowledge and history there! ..... Rudy talking about winning the Salton 500...130 boats entered! .... wow

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    2012 at the beach...

Spike& The Mortician and ???

Attachment 25769
    Didn't he have a 60's era hydro drag boat there too .... Spike is cool, had a good time talking to him

Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Didn't he have a 60's era hydro drag boat there too .... Spike is cool, had a good time talking to him
    The "Too Much" Stevens?

Last edited by gn7; 11-21-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Bob, can you tell me what kind of drive set up i am looking at on that top picture (Jesse James)??? I cant make it out from the pic but it sure enough looks different...
    I think the are just Speedmasters with set back boxes, and different lowers. They could be Konrads, but I think they are just KAMA/SSM's

Probably just some variation of this drive.
    Last edited by gn7; 11-21-2013 at 10:57 AM.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by westair View Post
    Hey I know that guy Spike, he lives down the street from a friend of mine. Pretty interesting guy, knew a lot about old boat history like you guys also. He would walk down and bullshit with us once in a while when we'd have the hotrods out. Yeah he did have an old hydro too. Actually, I think he had more boats, plus he was always finding really bitchin old parts. Haven't seen him in a long time, cool guy. Kinda weird seeing a picture of him on here after not seeing him for so long.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The "Too Much" Stevens?

Yep that's the boat, I must type too slow. You put up the pics while I was typing, funny.