Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Wendi

Coyote Sighting on my hike - Too close for comfort

So 3-4 times a week I hike up to the water tower. It is behind the homes next to the rolling hills. I do 77 railroad tie stairs 5-7 times up and down and then continue up to the water tower on the dirt road. Today as I'm at the top of the stairs I see I nice sized coyote come out from the bushes (where I walk). Yikes, I have Roscoe with me so I immediately put the leash on him. Coyote doesn't see me and I make sure Roscoe doesn't see coyote. I watch him as he continues into the hills and out of site. So I continue on my hike to the water tower. Question: If that happened close up do you think coyote would attack because of Roscoe being there? I've run into coyotes before but I wasn't walking my dog and we just ignore each other and go on our way.

Only in some strange circumstance will they generally bother you. They're pretty schitzo creatures.

Kim has seen one on her walk with our dog jack. She walks him in a concrete river bed in Rancho and thats where the COyote was but on the opposite side. The coyote saw jack but jack did not see the coyote. Kim turned around and started booking it back to the main street, foothill. She said she looked ahead and the Coyote was ahead of them just watching them from the opposite side still, like stalking them....The side the Coyote was on had a fence so nothing ever happened.

Another time, I was walking jack on the bike path trail and when it crossed baseline, I saw a Coyote on the other side of the street and the Coyote saw Jack and me. I made a quick left and sprinted to a gas station with the lights on and a couple cars filling up. I looked back and saw the Coyote cross the street but in the bushes this time....Needless to say, I waited until it walked away and I didnt see it anymore.

Both instances happened between 5-630am when it is not completely light out.
    If I walk early in the morning now, I take a golf club just in case.

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Kim has seen one on her walk with our dog jack. She walks him in a concrete river bed in Rancho and thats where the COyote was but on the opposite side. The coyote saw jack but jack did not see the coyote. Kim turned around and started booking it back to the main street, foothill. She said she looked ahead and the Coyote was ahead of them just watching them from the opposite side still, like stalking them....The side the Coyote was on had a fence so nothing ever happened.

Another time, I was walking jack on the bike path trail and when it crossed baseline, I saw a Coyote on the other side of the street and the Coyote saw Jack and me. I made a quick left and sprinted to a gas station with the lights on and a couple cars filling up. I looked back and saw the Coyote cross the street but in the bushes this time....Needless to say, I waited until it walked away and I didnt see it anymore.

Both instances happened between 5-630am when it is not completely light out.
    If I walk early in the morning now, I take a golf club just in case.
    All my run ins and sightings are after 8:00 am. But I hike in the hills in their territory. I'm going to take a golf club with me just in case I have to beat the crap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    All my run ins and sightings are after 8:00 am. But I hike in the hills in their territory. I'm going to take a golf club with me just in case I have to beat the crap out of it.
    Exactly, I am not worried about myself just about my dog. I want to be able to beat the Coyote off of Jack.
    I also got Kim a Taser last year to walk with but she is scared of it. Amazon has it for like $25. Ill look for it and post a link

WESTERNAERO
    How to handle coyotes 101, class dismissed.
    Name:  coyote.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  130.9 KB

Here it is.
    Guess its only $8 now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    How to handle coyotes 101, class dismissed.
    Name:  coyote.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  130.9 KB
    Ewwwe. Poor Wiley why did you kill him?

I have a lot of them were I live. I think the only time you need to fear them if its more than one or it be rabbid. They will try to trick a lone dog out and then the pack will kill it. I like your idea of beating the crap out of it though!
    CH3NO2

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Ewwwe. Poor Wiley why did you kill him?
    AZGFD encourages all hunters to do so. Population out of control I guess.