Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorites

Just when you think they can't get any better!

In 2011 I covered 26 boating-related events. This year I trimmed it back a bit- will finish out 2012 at around 20. These last couple of years I've gotten smarter with my shots- from a high of 150,000 frames in 2010, I'm now averaging about 90,000 per year. This is out of necessity as it takes a ton of time just to LOOK at that many images.

And, of course I always have my personal favorites. There's always that one shot, for whatever reason, clicks with me more than all the others.

My fav from 2010. Shot at LOTO from the swim platform of a 46 SeaRay. Splash from the roost added a cool effect to the foreground.
    The MTI was about a quarter-mile out and closing very quickly. Ya just never know... :peaceful:

One of my favorite events of the year is the Leverick Bay Run in Virgin Gorda, BVI.
    This shot overlooks North Sound with Saba Rock (my favorite) in the center and Bitter End off to the right.
    Larry from Google just bought the island in the background, and Branson's is behind it a mile or so.

Love the place.

Saba Rock

The place is so damn cool. Only 9 rooms, you can see them on the second floor. The bar/restaurant takes up the first level.
    Owner lives in SanFran, my friend David runs the place. I know you guys will love this, the owner is an antique outboard freak-
    it's practically a museum.

While I'm there...
    damn, now I wanna go.

They run a free ferry service that runs around the sound to the restaurants and bars.

And... as a friend, I feel it only fair to warn you about the Painkillers served at the bar, and occasional Mimosas on the dock.

Just sayin...

Ok, one last one and I'll quit pluggin the place... :cower:
    Just can't help myself when I start looking at the gallery- such fun times.

David has been running Saba Rock since forever, I knew him from OSO before I ever went to the run (4 yrs now).
    Great guy, glad to call him a friend. He got a new to him boat last year.

Keep them coming! BVI looks like an absolute blast, some day! How long is the flight from Florida? Can't get over how the water looks down there. So do most of these guys keep there boats down there or?

The BVI is a boater's paradise. Most of the islands are within sight of each other so you don't have that feeling of being out on the open ocean.

Everyone there has boat and the run is practically a national holiday- even the customs guys and air-sea rescue join in. My friend, Bob has fallen in love with the place. He ships his boat down in the spring and travels down a couple times before the run and then ships it back afterwards. We've tried to get others to do it, but so far no takers.

I've traveled there 3 different ways- Miami>San Juan>Tortolla, Ft Lauderdale>Tortolla and a week-long, 1200-mile ride- Bahamas>Turks&Caicos>Dominican Republic>Puerto Rico>BVI (needs its own thread). The Lauderdale flight takes a couple hours. Beef Island Airport on Tortolla is across the street from the ferry dock- from there it's about a 45 min ride up to Virgin Gorda.

Castle Rock - it's 325 miles from Great Exhuma to Turks & Caicos and if you are here, you are a very long way from home.

We docked for the night at a place called Ocean World in Dominican Republic. Nice place, but didn't look used very much. Spent the night at very nice resort there, but got a real eye-opener the next morning when we took a cab into Puerto Playa for oil and tranny fluid- seeing a third-world country up close and personal is something you don't forget.

Lunch stop at Pirates, on Norman Island.

Heading down the Sir Walter Drake Channel to the first card stop.