Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I cleaned this up a little. Got so lucky on this one

Attachment 24036

Anyone see anything wrong in this pic??

Attachment 24037
    The belt is flapping int he wind?

Thanks for the comparison Wendi!
    The other thing I would add is Havasu is more of everyone knows everyone from a fan standpoint and may be a bit more festive.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Wendi
    Good question. At Havasu, photographers could get quote a bit closer to the action. Haven't checked out the rest of the deal. Will report back later.
    You never left your post.

Vic, some amazing pictures. Wow you must be tired. we all appreciate the photo`s

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Vic, how do you guys like this venue compared to Havasu?
    Sorry I just remembered your note when Wendi bumped it up.

I'll give you a hack photographers perspective first:

I loved both of them. Each was a little different in their own way. Havasu was much closer to the action, almost too close if that's possible. If I had my way, I'd be 10' away from the action all the time. Firebird was more convenient. I got my set up all done and was able to leave it there. I was 20' away from our motorhome, so it was much easier to stand out there all day. Havasu was closer, but it was a little walk. The only real downside to Havasu was shooting in to the sun. Toward the afternoon it was almost a waste of time to shoot unless you were doing silhouettes. Firebird was perfect almost all day long. Loved it.

From a spectators perspective:

I didn't get a chance to hang out in the stands at Firebird. The stands were much closer to the finish line, so the boats were topping out by then. So it had to be a great spot to view the races. And it was shaded. The start was also a great spot to watch. Looked nice and grassy and safe. Toss up at either venue of you ask me.

Bottom line, I'd attend either event again and twice on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    The belt is flapping int he wind?
    I was gonna guess the parachute deployed if it backfired.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Wendi
    Sorry I just remembered your note when Wendi bumped it up.

I'll give you a hack photographers perspective first:

I loved both of them. Each was a little different in their own way. Havasu was much closer to the action, almost too close if that's possible. If I had my way, I'd be 10' away from the action all the time. Firebird was more convenient. I got my set up all done and was able to leave it there. I was 20' away from our motorhome, so it was much easier to stand out there all day. Havasu was closer, but it was a little walk. The only real downside to Havasu was shooting in to the sun. Toward the afternoon it was almost a waste of time to shoot unless you were doing silhouettes. Firebird was perfect almost all day long. Loved it.

From a spectators perspective:

I didn't get a chance to hang out in the stands at Firebird. The stands were much closer to the finish line, so the boats were topping out by then. So it had to be a great spot to view the races. And it was shaded. The start was also a great spot to watch. Looked nice and grassy and safe. Toss up at either venue of you ask me.

Bottom line, I'd attend either event again and twice on Sunday
    I'm sure the closeness that you mention above in Havasu will never be that way again. So we were all very fortunate to have attended that race and be that close to the action. Your body certainly rumbled 10 fold when the TFH took off.

2013 Lucas Oil World Finals - pics here

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    I'm sure the closeness that you mention above in Havasu will never be that way again. So we were all very fortunate to have attended that race and be that close to the action. Your body certainly rumbled 10 fold when the TFH took off.
    Good point, NHRA is moving to get fans farther from cars, bc of broken parts and errant vehicles.
    At Firebird a couple years ago, I saw the tire that came of Antron Browns car that ultimately killed the lady spectator. Even catch fences would not have prevented that fatality bc the tire had so much velocity it just bounced higher each time it hit the ground. Went completely through a Sportsman trailer in the pits too!

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Good point, NHRA is moving to get fans farther from cars, bc of broken parts and errant vehicles.
    At Firebird a couple years ago, I saw the tire that came of Antron Browns car that ultimately killed the lady spectator. Even catch fences would not have prevented that fatality bc the tire had so much velocity it just bounced higher each time it hit the ground. Went completely through a Sportsman trailer in the pits too!

CH3NO2
    In Havasu there were concrete barriers between the water and the fans. Anyone below the concrete (like yours truly) had to be media, crew, etc and had to sign a waiver to be there. So in my opinion, it was perfectly safe for everyone. Especially the fans.

Firebird has a catch fence. And there was another 20' or so of barricaded real estate between the catch fence and spectators. Again, anyone inside the barriers and catch fence had to be waivered to be there. So again, in my opinion, perfectly safe for everyone especially the spectators.

Lucas has been doing this for a long time. They know what they need to do to keep the general public as safe as possible. I didn't feel in any danger whatsoever at either venue and I was below the spectator barriers both times.

Great photos from the weekend at Finals in Chandler. Was great to be there.