Wendi

Do you winterize your boat? TIPS

Here are some tips to winterize your boat from our friends at Sun Country Marine, Special offer $199.00Name:  Winterization-Eblast_750.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  72.7 KB

Rarely get a Real Winter in Tucson. I really don't do anything. And if I could find the time and $$$ I would boat year round anyway.
    “Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! ”

― Bluto' Blutarsky in "Animal House"

Where I live, just south of Sacramento, we might get below freezing maybe 10 days a year. It's never the real hard type of freeze but I still drain the water from the block and manifolds and throw a little Preston in it just for piece of mind.

I just pump RV antifreeze back through the water dumps. Winterizing takes almost 4 minutes.

We winterize a dozen or so boats every year. Mostly for people in surrounding areas at higher elevation. We charge a flat rate of $150. The biggest issue is draining the motor, exhaust, and cooling system to prevent freezing. However there is more to it than that. Fuel additive is used in order to prevent water from contaminating the fuel. This is very important with today's ethanol based fuels and the erratic temperatures associated with Southern California winters. It could be 30 degrees at night and 85 just a few hours later. There are several other things we do like fogging cylinders to prevent rust and contamination.
    Perhaps the biggest benefit to the service is having a certified mechanic look over your boat before you put it away. If there is an issue you will be made aware of it now and not a week before your first trip when you bring it in for service.
    Winterizing isn't for everybody but it is cheap insurance against a harsh winter and a little piece of mind.

I winterize my boat by putting gas in it, launching it and running it! Sometimes I need a jacket, beanie and socks but a nice ride down to the springs for lunch is a nice winter day!

Quote Originally Posted by havaduner View Post
    I winterize my boat by putting gas in it, launching it and running it! Sometimes I need a jacket, beanie and socks but a nice ride down to the springs for lunch is a nice winter day!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Put some Seafoam or Stabil in the tank.... that's about it. Then start it up and let it run for 10 minutes or so every other weekend.

I am in Michigan, so how have ya got???
    RSCHAP1

Quote Originally Posted by havaduner View Post
    Agree, might even need to put the boat in the ocean this weekend, hmmm.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk