Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Engine Choices- Another ?

I'm still on the lookout for a ride, and I have been running into a wide variety of boats with a number of different motors. I am far from an expert and hoping you guys could help educate me a little more. I know there are some pro's vs. cons, because of the availability of parts, price etc. but beyond that I'm pretty clueless. Any and all help is appreciated. Thoughts, negative and positive on the following packages? I'm not looking to go 100mph, mainly want something that is going to be reliable and fairly easy to work on. Which ones are immediate red flags?

1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

WESTERNAERO
    CHEVY.
    Not bashing the non-chevy guys so settle down. But you just can't argue with the economical factor of chevy based parts.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    CHEVY.
    Not bashing the non-chevy guys so settle down. But you just can't argue with the economical factor of chevy based parts.
    Agreed. I had a ford 460 in my miller. It ran great. Never any problems. But I alway new that IF I broke it, it would cost twice as much as a Chevy to build it. The other brands are even worse.
    I want to build a bad ass 455 olds to go spank on the Chevy guys. It can be done and nothing would hurt their pride more than loosing to an olds. However it isn't easy and it isn't cheap. In stock trim the olds is arguably the worst motor for any boat.
    Let the brand bashing games begin.

FWIW - the Olds & Pontiac can get expensive quickly.

The Chevy and Ford are probably the best bang for the buck - and have the most parts readily/economically available.

1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds Let's start off with taking this one out of your vocabulary if you're even thinking about going over 4,000 RPM's...

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

I am no engine builder but I did do a little research when I had my engine built. I would start with Chevy and Ford for you research then go from there. I am a Chevy guy but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a Ford in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PokerRun388 View Post
    What year boat are you looking for? I'll keep in eye out for you? Any particular make/size/model?
    Nothing in particular, most any little v-drive will do.

Thanks for all the help guys
    Will help to refine my search. I don't want to get stuck with something that will eventually break, and be stuck with an even bigger money pit than I will already be getting myself into.

WESTERNAERO
    What kind of little v-drive are you thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    What kind of little v-drive are you thinking about?
    I'm pretty open to anything as long as it's stout. I thought there would be more for sale at this point in time but I'm having a hard time finding anything. Found a Hondo for around $5000 but couldn't make it up north.

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    I'm pretty open to anything as long as it's stout. I thought there would be more for sale at this point in time but I'm having a hard time finding anything. Found a Hondo for around $5000 but couldn't make it up north.
    So are you looking for a flatty or a cruiser? I see good deals on Spectra 20's once in a while.