Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDY WATER View Post
    Ya. It will take a 900 inch ferd to do what a 468 Chevy can do at half the cost.
    Immmmmm kiddddddddding... Nothing wrong with a chebby...

MUDDY WATER

Quote Originally Posted by MUDDY WATER View Post
    You're riding bitch BTW... Im driving...

MUDDY WATER
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    You're riding bitch BTW... Im driving...
    No. I said I would let you drive one of my boats. You told me your experience and I said we would take the pussy boat. :-]

Quote Originally Posted by muddy water View Post
    no. I said i would let you drive one of my boats. You told me your experience and i said we would take the pussy boat. :-]

There is nothing a BBC ever accomplished that a couple cammers can't equal. Right 2MM?

Name:  knudsen hydro.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  149.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    There is nothing a BBC ever accomplished that a couple cammers can't equal. Right 2MM?

Name:  knudsen hydro.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  149.8 KB
    Hey GN, who is this, whats the boat, year? Cool Pic by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Hey GN, who is this, whats the boat, year? Cool Pic by the way.
    Yes, story please?

I would have thought by now 2MM would have chimed in on this, He is the self proclaimed authority on all things powered by the "wonder motor" 2MM is of the opinion it was one of the great motors of all time, but then he has never spoken with anybody that ever built one.
    Just so happens I spoke with the gentleman that worked on the engines in this "engineering marvel" and had nothing good to say about the engines, or the boat.

Its a Unlimited Hydro. As in, it was built to take on the turbo charged Allisons and Rolls Royce Griffons. Although it is said to have qualified at a couple races at 100MPH, there is some controversy as to whether it ever exceeded 80. The 2-3 times I saw the boat, it failed to ever get fully on plane, or blow the tail.
    The drivers of this thing in the 5 years it was run reads like the whos who of Unlimiteds.

The boat was called Miss O Neil-Knudson, U14, owned and built by Walt Knudson. It took over 10 years to construct, and ran from 1976 thru '82. The boat still exists somewhere in the Mohave desert sans engines.

Walt Knudson who was a relative of Bunkie Knudson, cousin, nephew, something.
    Bunkie Knudson was the first person to ever walk out of one of the big 3 auto makers and go to work for another. He left GM in 68 and went to work for Ford as President of FOMOCO., and shocked the entire automotive industry. Nobody had ever done that before. Bunkie HATED the SOHC, and he assembled the team that created the Boss series of engines for Ford. He back doored a couple of the SOHCs to Walt in 1968 to use in the boat, as much as anything, to clear out the inventory of the POS. As far as he was concerned, Ford was done the damn things.

Anyway, the boat looks cool, but it was a major loser on the water. Like I said, there is nothing 1 Chevy ever accomplished that 2 Fords couldn't equal. RIGHT 2MM?

Last edited by gn7; 11-24-2013 at 11:51 PM.

ANY issue/weakness that a FE wedge head engine had (block weakness/oiling issues)would only be multiplied/magnified with the unleashed power of the SOHC... FE wasn't a perfect engine, BUT what engine was??? The CHEBBY 409???

The SOHC was successful within the engineering limits of the blocks/cranks that were available and yes, I have discussed this with three guys that were successful with the SOHC in the race world... One setting a world record in the Nostalgia super stock circuit... ALL were N/A engines with no power adders and were running on race gas... NOT nitro...