Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Engine Choices- Another ?

I'm still on the lookout for a ride, and I have been running into a wide variety of boats with a number of different motors. I am far from an expert and hoping you guys could help educate me a little more. I know there are some pro's vs. cons, because of the availability of parts, price etc. but beyond that I'm pretty clueless. Any and all help is appreciated. Thoughts, negative and positive on the following packages? I'm not looking to go 100mph, mainly want something that is going to be reliable and fairly easy to work on. Which ones are immediate red flags?

1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

1. Ford 460

2. 455 Olds Let's start off with taking this one out of your vocabulary if you're even thinking about going over 4,000 RPM's...

3. xxx Chevy (or any other Chevy)

4. xxx Chrysler

5. xxx Pontiac

I am no engine builder but I did do a little research when I had my engine built. I would start with Chevy and Ford for you research then go from there. I am a Chevy guy but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a Ford in it.

I would take you're 5k and go to Vegas for a weekend of fun...lol

I think it will be a better investment

Nothing cheap about a v drive. If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
    I would take you're 5k and go to Vegas for a weekend of fun...lol

I think it will be a better investment

Nothing cheap about a v drive. If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

Iv'e tried that with a much smaller bankroll and it's all good till your'e halfway home and realize how much you actually lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
    If you want a fun toy why not try and find a clean 20 spectra in a jet. Find a guy that dumped 20k into it and steal it for 7k.

I was going to say this earlier...but I didn't want to piss everyone off by saying the J word in the V-Drive section. I can't believe the prices I have seen the Spectra's selling for...

WESTERNAERO
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  82.1 KB
    This one is for sale on PB, just dropped the price to 6500 today.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  82.1 KB
    This one is for sale on PB, just dropped the price to 6500 today.
    Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB
    The motor is a big block Chevy 454 and has Torker intake manifold, 750 cfm carburetor, v drive oil pan, Rewarder headers that have water to them with a shut off valve. I am not sure what is in the motor itself as far as pistons rods ect. I've never had a problem with the engine so I have never messed with it. The v-drive is a casale split case with what I believe are 18 gears.

WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB
    The motor is a big block Chevy 454 and has Torker intake manifold, 750 cfm carburetor, v drive oil pan, Rewarder headers that have water to them with a shut off valve. I am not sure what is in the motor itself as far as pistons rods ect. I've never had a problem with the engine so I have never messed with it. The v-drive is a casale split case with what I believe are 18 gears.
    Is that your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    Here you go GH...

From Sanger Kid on PB

Thats a hell of a deal