Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ptc View Post
    I still havent seen a Price Range for the "boat of your pleasure"..... Maybe if you give us an idea of the cash you are ready to put out, it will also give you an idea of how much of a project it is going to be, or not.....

Turnkey ready to go "UNMOLESTED" (I like that term) clean flatbottoms with rebuilt low hour (chevy) engines can run from $15-20K

If you are looking to find something in the $5K range then you should also have a bank account backing that up with about $10K saved or a large credit limit.... to make all the repairs and complete all the restoration projects you will be doing on it. just saying....

Bottom line is get a good hull.... (if you go for a project boat) fiber and wood work is THE MOST expensive part of a project. Mechanicals are not too crazy to restore and replace.

THeres alot of nice turnkey boats out there.... for sale.... everything has a price!
    Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't. I came across this for $5,000 :http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4073407655.html

Maybe a dumb question but is something like that not even worth buying or? I appreciate everyone's input so far, like I said I'd rather keep saving and buy something I can keep for a long time, as I intend to do.

At this point I'm not looking to go 100 mph or even be the best looking boat on the water. I don't mind working on something, as I know I will have to, regardless of how much I spend. Just looking to get out on the water and possibly explore new waterways. What it's all about right?

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so I don't have a problem with waiting for the 'right' deal.
    Last edited by GotHalos; 10-22-2013 at 04:44 PM.

WESTERNAERO
    I remember seeing another listing for that same boat somewhere. If I remember right it's not a flat bottom, it has the pantara bottom ( I think it called that). I believe those hulls were supposed to be jets, although I have a friend that has one set up with an O/B. Plus that boat doesn't have a BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't.

I'm also not in a hurry to buy, so I don't have a problem with waiting for the 'right' deal.
    The price for the Mandella is 7500.00. This boat might not be for you unless you want an old school project with a Ford.

Check with Mouser, he's up on boats and can most likely find you what you desire.

Good luck with the search!

Well shit, I guess I am out of luck. This is around what I was hoping to spend (part of the reason, I'm asking these questions). I'd rather learn before I go and buy a money pit (Yes, I know all boats are money pits). After all that is why I am asking for opinions, you guys have been there before, I haven't. I came across this for $5,000 :http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4073407655.html

Maybe a dumb question but is something like that not even worth buying or? I appreciate everyone's input so far, like I said I'd rather keep saving and buy something I can keep for a long time, as I intend to do.

At this point I'm not looking to go 100 mph or even be the best looking boat on the water. I don't mind working on something, as I know I will have to, regardless of how much I spend. Just looking to get out on the water and possibly explore new waterways. What it's all about right?

I like the old school ski carrier...

Name:  00505_88GRTnzVCEA_600x450[1].jpg
Views: 96
Size:  31.2 KBName:  00I0I_cplLAeUZl0L_600x450[1].jpg
Views: 107
Size:  43.3 KBName:  01717_3utAXnIoy3H_600x450[1].jpg
Views: 111
Size:  39.0 KB

Anything in that price range just BUYER BEWARE.... check it out very thoroughly especially the hull, thats the most costly and time consuming to do repairs on. If its mechanicals other than a complete motor than thats just maintenance really. If they have no idea about what the engine is or was or built like.... RUN FORREST RUN!!!!! She's gonna blow! ask me how I know this!

Heres a real deal and ready to do everything you need....

http://www.performanceboats.com/boat...very-fast.html
    1975 Sanger True Flat 496BBC
    http://v-drivecalifornia.blogspot.com/

Don't get discouraged. 5k can get you a boat that will enable you to have a lot of fun in and you will be able to work on it as needed. That boat you posted a link to looks like a nice old ski boat. It would be smart to take someone who is familiar with older v drives with you when you check one out.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    I remember seeing another listing for that same boat somewhere. If I remember right it's not a flat bottom, it has the pantara bottom ( I think it called that). I believe those hulls were supposed to be jets, although I have a friend that has one set up with an O/B. Plus that boat doesn't have a BBC.
    The first v drive I bought was a 77 Centurion with a Pantera bottom. The Pantera bottom makes a great lake boat because it handles rough water better than a flat bottom and it doesn't take any skill to drive them. It had a stock Harmon Marine 460 Ford and would run 70 mph. I paid $2500 bucks for that boat, drug it home and detailed it, spent another $500 on it fixing little things. Thrashed many a jet boat with that thing and then sold it a couple of years later for $3500. That's how you have fun with a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    Any idea what engine it has? I'm almost positive it sold, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    Don't get discouraged. 5k can get you a boat that will enable you to have a lot of fun in and you will be able to work on it as needed. That boat you posted a link to looks like a nice old ski boat. It would be smart to take someone who is familiar with older v drives with you when you check one out.
    Thanks I've seen some good deals out there but they sell in a matter of days. Hoping I'm in the right place at the right time sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWater View Post
    The first v drive I bought was a 77 Centurion with a Pantera bottom. The Pantera bottom makes a great lake boat because it handles rough water better than a flat bottom and it doesn't take any skill to drive them. It had a stock Harmon Marine 460 Ford and would run 70 mph. I paid $2500 bucks for that boat, drug it home and detailed it, spent another $500 on it fixing little things. Thrashed many a jet boat with that thing and then sold it a couple of years later for $3500. That's how you have fun with a boat!
    That's how you do it!

WESTERNAERO
    All I was saying is, that's not not a flat bottom. I assumed you were looking for a flat bottom.
    It looks like a BBF to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The price for the Mandella is 7500.00. This boat might not be for you unless you want an old school project with a Ford.

Check with Mouser, he's up on boats and can most likely find you what you desire.

Good luck with the search!
    Wheeler whats the status of your boat? Engine running? drivable? trailer good to go? Does a favorable sale come with unlimited backseat flights of the Parker and surrounding areas? Assuming body mass does not exceed fuel requirements?