Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Southwind View Post
    So are you looking for a flatty or a cruiser? I see good deals on Spectra 20's once in a while.
    Leaning toward a flat.

I would say Chevy cause most everyone you know has Chevy parts readily avalible and a wholelot cheaper to buy parts if needed...

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    Nothing in particular, most any little v-drive will do.

Thanks for all the help guys
    Will help to refine my search. I don't want to get stuck with something that will eventually break, and be stuck with an even bigger money pit than I will already be getting myself into.
    You best go buy a new Lexus if you're not looking for a money pit.

I have this '63 Mandella sitting around taking up space, Ford powered to boot! Name:  100_002.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  70.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post

I have this '63 Mandella sitting around taking up space, Ford powered to boot! Name:  100_002.jpg
    Ford 👍

Yep, it's got a Ford!

What's the taking up space price?

If you are looking at a flat, you really only have 2 choices. If its a earlier retro flat like Wheeler's Mandella above, then it can be a Ford FE (390/406/427/428) or it can have been updated to a later BB Chevy. Or a newer flat with a BB Chevy.
    You CAN have a newer Ford 429/460, but they aren't the most popular V drive engine, and not very common. Much more common is jets. They are actually very decent engines, but you have to know them. They aren't the iron ball the Chevy is without some modifications.
    Pontiacs will usually only show up in either a unmolested Stevens OR something done by somebody using what ever was laying around. A unmolested Pontiac Stevens is VERY cool, but any other boat with a Pontiac....RUN FORREST RUN,

FORGET THE OLDS ENTIRELY! Erase the idea from your head and never admit you even considered it. They SUCK as a low RPM jet boat engine, and have business what so ever in a V drive...PERIOD. Unless of course you are talking a Pro Stock Olds headed DRCE, but that's another story,

Bottom line: Stick to Ford FEs in ORIGINAL mid to late 60s flats, may be early 70s, or Chevy in anything.
    Last edited by gn7; 10-20-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If you are looking at a flat, you really only have 2 choices. If its a earlier retro flat like Wheeler's Mandella above, then it can be a Ford FE (390/406/427/428) or it can have been updated to a later BB Chevy. Or a newer flat with a BB Chevy.
    You CAN have a newer Ford 429/460, but they aren't the most popular V drive engine, and not very common. Much more common is jets. They are actually very decent engines, but you have to know them. They aren't the iron ball the Chevy is without some modifications.
    Pontiacs will usually only show up in either a unmolested Stevens OR something done by somebody using what ever was laying around. A unmolested Pontiac Stevens is VERY cool, but any other boat with a Pontiac....RUN FORREST RUN,

FORGET THE OLDS ENTIRELY! Erase the idea from your head and never admit you even considered it. They SUCK as a low RPM jet boat engine, and have business what so ever in a V drive...PERIOD. Unless of course you are talking a Pro Stock Olds headed DRCE, but that's another story,

Bottom line: Stick to Ford FEs in ORIGINAL mid to late 60s flats, may be early 70s, or Chevy in anything.
    Thanks for the reply gn7 The search continues....

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    What's the taking up space price?
    Did I mention that it's Ford Powered? Not to mention it's a 427 Ford.

Did I mention that it's Ford Powered? Not to mention it's a 427 Ford.
    427's are very hard to come by these days. Almost as hard to come by as Benjamin's