Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Pacific One Hull Design

POHD was another class that was similar to crackers but with sponsons

Crackerbox hull developed and raced with the POHD

POHD faded out and crackerbox class came about. Crackerboxs had the "P" designation from that beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    That was one of my questions of why they are called Crackers too.
    Thanks Bob!

CH3NO2
    According to an old powerboat magazine I have (1968), (while building the first boat) a friend of the original builder walked into his shop and said; "that boat looks like a cracker box". The name stuck.

How did the Enduro work out this past weekend? I know a few people were thinking it would be a failure, haven't seen or read any info about the success or non success.

Quote Originally Posted by pvhca1 View Post
    How did the Enduro work out this past weekend? I know a few people were thinking it would be a failure, haven't seen or read any info about the success or non success.
    The enduro is next weekend 10-26

Quote Originally Posted by rivergames View Post
    Thanks Buddy, got the drags and the enduro all jacked, LOL!!

This is a inresting thread,

I got my number from the boat my dad was crew cheif on, I was about 15 and went to almost all of the races, one of the best times in my life

Name:  BAH_34[1].jpg
Views: 116
Size:  90.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pvhca1 View Post
    Thanks Buddy, got the drags and the enduro all jacked, LOL!!
    This month has been crazy with races and boat shows

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post

IMO, if Gordon Jennings and David Rankin were to focus as much effort on a PS boat as they do on SS-80 it would never loose to a Super Stock boat unless the drivers were unparalleled.
    When the Faulkners bust out PS70 at Burley and stuff Ty in the seat, theres not much out that can run with it. And its by no means a full tilt Pfaff 500 incher. It has just enough to keep everybody else behind it. But you are very correct Jerry. If a top SS team built a full tilt 500 inch PS boat, no SS could run with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know there was an ongoing debate about this. I go to long beach every year to watch and that's about all I know about the circle boats.
    However, what Bob was saying reminds me of almost all roundy-round racing. And to your point, I think a lot of racers enjoy the more limited classes because of the competitive nature of it. I would guess the SS boats have 20 times the money, time and experience invested than the PS.
    SS started out as a starter class for inboard flat bottom, with SK and later PC(pro comp) being the upper more expensive classes. SK fell away, PC changed to PS and SS started becoming extremely popular. A unbelievably GREAT racer named Lance Faulkner put a lot of effort into making the SS the premier flat bottom class, raising a lot of sponsorship money and attracting the best of the best to compete in the class. After we lost Lance the class slip a little. Dave Rankin has pickup the banton and kept the class alive. Its made a big come back in the past couple years with some top boats running very well, Buckles/Devine 36, Smith/fitzgerald24, Bloomfield55 Too Tall Charlie and some others. The field is STACKED today.

Hey Bob, I beleive the "P" stand for Pacifc
    Pacific One Hull Design

POHD was another class that was similar to crackers but with sponsons

Crackerbox hull developed and raced with the POHD

POHD faded out and crackerbox class came about. Crackerboxs had the "P" designation from that beginning.
    I am impressed Andrew!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp shooter View Post
    According to an old powerboat magazine I have (1968), (while building the first boat) a friend of the original builder walked into his shop and said; "that boat looks like a cracker box". The name stuck.
    According to an article written by Culp that I gave to Amy, a worker at Joe Mandella's worked out the design as a cheap easy to build hull design the average guy could build in his garage. Like you said, somebody said it looked like a crackerbox and the name stuck. Never seen a 1940s crackerbox to know what one looked like.
    Thanks for the reminder about KM. For some reason I always forget about that designation.
    Your entered right?? You best buddy is the race director

Need to make a correction on the rules I posted earlier. A couple years ago while I was asleep at the wheel, they raised the minimum weights of the flat classes.
    SS and PS are now 1850 with driver. K is 2250 with dirver. the 21 ft hull in K is 2400 with driver. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by gn7; 10-16-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Very educating thread thusfar. Love hearing you racers talk about your classes and experiences!
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by K-034 View Post
    This is a inresting thread,

I got my number from the boat my dad was crew cheif on, I was about 15 and went to almost all of the races, one of the best times in my life

Name:  BAH_34[1].jpg
Views: 116
Size:  90.5 KB
    Awesome!!!