Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    The NHRA allows drivers to choose their number above 17.
    1-16 are reserved for the highest points finishers to use next year if they choose.

CH3NO2
    Interesting... Thanks Carbon, I didn't know that!

"IN THE BEGINNING" before they were known as the GN class, it was the "U" class.
    Couldn't pick the number of my favorite "GN" #9 because it was still in use by the original holder. I doubt you will ever see that number on another boat than the one its currently on. That number is pretty much off limits.
    So I picked the number of my second favorite boat.
    Name:  65Rayson.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "IN THE BEGINNING" before they were known as the GN class, it was the "U" class.
    Couldn't pick the number of my favorite "GN" #9 because it was still in use by the original holder. I doubt you will ever see that number on another boat than the one its currently on. That number is pretty much off limits.
    So I picked the number of my second favorite boat.
    Name:  65Rayson.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.0 KB
    Thanks gn7... Pretty cool! What exactly is a GN boat. I don't understand the classes...

Think K boat with a little less power but a little larger with a shallow v bottom.
    All other circle boats run 5 lap or 5 mile races. GNs run 2 -10 lap races on Saturday and one 20 lap final on Sunday. the other inboard circle boats start running on the water usually with a green flag but sometimes a countdown clock where they can't cross the start line before the clock hits zero.
    GNs start on the beach with a dead engine. Flag drops, and they start and go. Damn thing better start FAST!

Name:  9thanks7.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  84.8 KB

Liahna, GN stands for Grand National, hopefully Bob will come back in and explain what that means bc I don't know.
    Thanks Bob for the definition of GN racing, I didn't know either.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

Our team has always been part of Wine-o racing, which used to be made up of like 5 or 6 boats years ago. Today we are Texas Bounty Hunter H2O PM#411. The 411 is April 11th which is the owner/drivers anniversary. The name came from a sponsor we used to have who ran a PM car called Texas Bounty Hunter. 411 has been the number since I can remember but after the first boat called Blood Sweat and Tears, the boats to follow were always Fool something. We had Fool Throttle and Fool Addiction. Since the Bounty hunter crashed a month ago and we chopped it up and threw it away we talked about going back to a Fool name, but decided to keep the Bounty Hunter name. Now their middle daughter Lauren wanted to race and so after one year in the heaviest hull her dad could find, we laid up a baby kurtis and she named it Daddy's DNA, her number was 205 which is nearly half of 411. Now she is planning her wedding, so her little brother Ryan stepped in and decided that he needed a new name. So Sancho's DNA was born. It's a long story but basically when Randy(the dad) was at work he would call his wife (Judy) and tell her he was on his way home and to get "Sancho" outta the house. He is running the number 315, not sure why but I think it's the number he ran when he either raced a buddy's jet boat or his jet ski.

Cool explanations RG!
    Is Lauren out of competition?
    What boat(s) is your team campaigning in Phoenix?
    What class has the tightest point contenders?
    Apologies for all the questions, just trying to get knowledgeable of the finals.

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

When the boats first started running they were designated "U" for unlimited because they were no engine rules at all. The nearest class to them was the SK class which was a "ski boat" type boat class because at the time everything else was either a hydro or what they called "service" boats which crackerboxes fell into along with other front engine, two rider boats fit into. But SKs ran 5 mile races, the "U" inboard v drives ran marathons. 9 hour, 500 miles, 250 miles.
    The Unlimited hydros didn't like the U designation on the small inboards, so they forced(bitched) and the name and designation was changed to SC for Speed Classics, but the boats all left the APBA in a huff over the deal and went on their own. Sound familiar Andrew?

When they came back to the APBA they started using the name Grand National. There is also a Grand National Hydro (GNH)class that uses similar engine rules that mostly runs in the mid west.

Now lets see if the young whipper snapper Andrew can tell you why crackers have a "P" designation?

That was one of my questions of why they are called Crackers too.
    Thanks Bob!

CH3NO2
    CH3NO2

[QUOTE=Carbon;42211]Cool explanations RG!
    Is Lauren out of competition?

Yes she handed over the boat to her kid brother two years ago. He is in 3rd place now.
    What boat(s) is your team campaigning in Phoenix?
    Sancho's DNA will be there running the 9 second class. Hoping to take out the first and second place points leaders! We need the winter to build another promod.
    What class has the tightest point contenders?
    I don't keep up with every classes points chases but I do know that Pro mod and top eliminator and modified are really competitive classes and it's not uncommon to see upwards of 20 something boats in these classes.
    Apologies for all the questions, just trying to get knowledgeable of the finals.

here are pics of both boats...
    Name:  Ryan Marble falls.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  81.7 KB
    Name:  TBH.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  73.2 KB

Come on out to the finals and see us.