Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to stay in Maui?

I thought maybe you left coast guys would have the hook up on places to stay.
    We are taking our family (4 kids 15 years to 19 yrs old) and have stayed at Kaanapali before and loved it. We snorkel, beginning surf, and hang on the beach. Have rented houses in Cabo before and loved it!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    So many boats...so little time.

I have a best friend that lives in Kihei. I love it there as it is more quiet that Lahainna/Kaanapali.
    I am not sure about your budget but said friend works at the Fairmont Kea Lani!
    I absolutely love this place! It has snorkeling right off the beach and it is practically a private beach.

This is also on the "dry" side of the island so it does not rain very often.
    http://www.fairmont.com/kea-lani-maui/

If you want any more info, let me know and if you book this place let me know and i can pass on his information to you.

At the Fairmont, they have 2 and 3 bedroom private villas right on the beach with their own kitchen as well as plash pool. It gives you the feeling of your own condo on the beach as opposed to staying in a hotel. There is still Maid service and all the amenities. I liked being able to bring your own food in and BBQ or what not and not being forced to eat at the hotel for every meal.

I want to say this is the Ka'anapali Beach Club, but I'm not 100% sure. We loved it because you could hear the shore break with the windows open, 50' from the sand. And you could walk to Whalers Village. Name:  2011-07-28 19 00 02.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  75.8 KB

I used to live in Maui and we have vacationed there many times. I rate vacation places (for us) in the following order;

1. Makena
    2. Wailea
    3. Kihei
    4. Kapalua
    5. Kaanapali

I am not a fan of high action when I go to Hawaii........If we moved to Maui full time we would definately head to the south side of the island (1-3). It is a much slower pace (albeit more expensive) and I can say for a fact that the single coolest place we have ever spent Christmas was Makena.........we went to Christmas service in a little church that was right on the beach and built in 1834 my the missionaries. What an amazing experience to share it woth almost 1000 people outside on the grounds. The local kids sang all the traditional Christmas Carols in Hawaiian......it was a cool experience Name:  CIMG2047.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  300.9 KBName:  CIMG2043.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  308.1 KBName:  CIMG2080.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  295.6 KBName:  CIMG1876.JPG
Size:  287.7 KB
    Last edited by Paul65K; 10-03-2013 at 07:53 AM.

I've stayed at the Hyatt in Lahaina, it was beautiful, on the beach where all the water activities are located and had a kids play area.

My sister got married at the Ritz we spent a few days there and I wasn't impressed and in fact I was bored! Not my style.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    I used to live in Maui and we have vacationed there many times. I rate vacation places (for us) in the following order;

1. Makena
    2. Wailea
    3. Kihei
    4. Kapalua
    5. Kaanapali

I am not a fan of high action when I go to Hawaii........If we moved to Maui full time we would definately head to the south side of the island (1-3). It is a much slower pace (albeit more expensive) and I can say for a fact that the single coolest place we have ever spent Christmas was Makena.........we went to Christmas service in a little church that was right on the beach and built in 1834 my the missionaries. What an amazing experience to share it woth almost 1000 people outside on the grounds. The local kids sang all the traditional Christmas Carols in Hawaiian......it was a cool experience Name:  CIMG2047.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  300.9 KBName:  CIMG2043.JPG
Size:  308.1 KBName:  CIMG2080.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  295.6 KBName:  CIMG1876.JPG
Size:  287.7 KB
    Paul, I would give anything to live in Maui! I love that place.
    Question is Big Beach in Makena? Just south of Wilea correct?
    My next tip is next Sept for my friends wedding!

Mountain biking down Haleakala is a blast if anyone in the family is into that . Also taking a day or so and driving to Hana /hiking to seven pools is cool. My buddy lived there and I used to visit to surf Honolua/mountain bike, etc. and vacationed there a lot when I was a a kid. Maui seems to have great weather for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Paul, I would give anything to live in Maui! I love that place.
    Question is Big Beach in Makena? Just south of Wilea correct?
    My next tip is next Sept for my friends wedding!
    Yeah Big Beach is south of Wailea.......We like to go to the little beach at Makena Bay......it's where the long boats used to come ashore back in the whaling days...the picture on the beach was taken in Wailea at the 4 Seasons and was out 25th anniversary dinner !!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Yeah Big Beach is south of Wailea.......We like to go to the little beach at Makena Bay......it's where the long boats used to come ashore back in the whaling days...the picture on the beach was taken in Wailea at the 4 Seasons and was out 25th anniversary dinner !!
    I have not stayed at the 4 seasons but have heard good things about it.
    I really want to rent one of those houses on the bluff between the 4 seasons and the Kea Lani.....

Too bad we cant get any Manapua (sp) at a minute stop out here lol For some reason, I love that stuff!