Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    I have some boat building questions.

first (not a question) from what I understand it takes many weeks for a boat to cure/set up after the glass and resin have been layed.

When the glass and resin are curing is it like concrete? Is heat created during the process? If so, would sticking it in a refrigerated room cure it quicker without compermising the strength? Does vacuum bagging help the curing process or does it just allow less product to be used? Vacuum bagging looks like a simple process (I know nothing of it) so why aren't all boats bagged? Esp since it possibly allows the use of less glass and resin. Not sure if im asking the right questions but im sure ill get thr answer im lookin for.

So which is better (if any are over the other)?

Ambient air temp cure? Would heat speed up the cure? Would a 45 degree temp room be better/quicker??

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I have some boat building questions.

first (not a question) from what I understand it takes many weeks for a boat to cure/set up after the glass and resin have been layed.

When the glass and resin are curing is it like concrete? Is heat created during the process? If so, would sticking it in a refrigerated room cure it quicker without compermising the strength? Does vacuum bagging help the curing process or does it just allow less product to be used? Vacuum bagging looks like a simple process (I know nothing of it) so why aren't all boats bagged? Esp since it possibly allows the use of less glass and resin. Not sure if im asking the right questions but im sure ill get thr answer im lookin for.

So which is better (if any are over the other)?

Ambient air temp cure? Would heat speed up the cure? Would a 45 degree temp room be better/quicker??
    Vacuum bagging only removes the Air pockets from the glass and resin. Hense speeding up the curing process and stregthining the bond.
    The use of less material i think is never a good idea, use of better glass or carbon fiber is always an alternative. Heat is created by the Chemical reaction
    between the resin and hardener. Warmer the ambient temp, faster the kick off of the resin. Cooling never a good idea for it accelerates curing time.

Just my experience in Glass Work. Hope this is helpful !

Looking great. FroGecko or FroGeiko?

Wow that looks good and green! 👍

Very nice!

Coming along nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Wow that looks good and green! 👍

Any updates HPB?!

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    Any updates HPB?!
    Yeah. What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Party Bus View Post
    No change, i've been messing with my buggy it's offroad time.
    Did you ever replace the flat tire.