Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by niceguyeddie View Post
    Really? Same battery?
    Same battery. Been using them since 2002, replacing them every 3 years because we can't afford to have one fail. Usually take the old out of the boat and cycle it into a road vehicle. and replace it with the next one out of the boat. Failed one battery inside that 3 years and luckily that was in the pits between races. Can't remember exactly what Interstate gave me for a pro rate, but I wasn't disappointed.
    Sometimes the batteries have "INTERSTATE" on them, some times they are "OPTIMA" But when it comes to a warranty, I will deal with a Interstate dealer any time over a Optima dealer.
    GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE:
    LINK: Interstate Batteries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Mike at Battery Sales will know.

Quite a few, including the one I mentioned.
    Anything I can count on two hands and have fingers left over, I don't consider quite a few. There in only ONE lead smelter in the entire United States, and only one battery company using 100% virgin lead in their batteries, and it NOT Lifeline. They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

Every other battery company in the country uses mixture of virgin and recycled lead or 100% recycled lead, that they get from the same company. Not that its bad. Interstate batteries, including their AGMs and as well as Optimas and LIFELINE, all use the same lead supplier, and their batteries work just fine.
    But there are not that many companies making batteries for car, boats and trucks. Far less than you would think. Far less than there was. Its the ECOLOGY issue

The name of that company is Enersys, and they make car, boat batteries under the name Odyssey. I don't use them because I like dealing with my Interstate dealer and they haven't let me down yet.
    Last edited by gn7; 09-17-2013 at 10:13 PM.

The batteries at Costco these days are Interstate brand specifically made for Costco and carry a great warranty.....easy at Costco, no hassles if there's a problem and are around $80 each.

I get 4 years out of my batteries (have 2) but I always have them on a desulfation charger/maintainer and they easily last 4 years......I just replace one every 2 years just to keep them fresh........$40 a year for batteries is cheap insurance to always make sure you're ready to go on the water.......life's too short for a dead battery

That's my point. If its a decent battery, then WHO you buy it from can be as important or more so, than what battery you are buying. Costco has always proven to be a great company to deal with as far was warranty.
    BTW, Interstate doesn't manufacture a battery. They provide batteries under private labels and warranty them. But they only distribute batteries like 90% of the others out there with their name on a battery.

But with Costco, you have kind of a double whammey warranty, with Costco backing it, as well as Interstate. Both whos entire reputation is built around their products and customer service.

Fair enough.....Interstate batteries (as well as Walmart batteries) are all made by Johnson Controls

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Same battery. Been using them since 2002, replacing them every 3 years because we can't afford to have one fail. Usually take the old out of the boat and cycle it into a road vehicle. and replace it with the next one out of the boat. Failed one battery inside that 3 years and luckily that was in the pits between races. Can't remember exactly what Interstate gave me for a pro rate, but I wasn't disappointed.
    Sometimes the batteries have "INTERSTATE" on them, some times they are "OPTIMA" But when it comes to a warranty, I will deal with a Interstate dealer any time over a Optima dealer.
    GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE:
    LINK: Interstate Batteries

Anything I can count on two hands and have fingers left over, I don't consider quite a few. There in only ONE lead smelter in the entire United States, and only one battery company using 100% virgin lead in their batteries, and it NOT Lifeline. They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

Every other battery company in the country uses mixture of virgin and recycled lead or 100% recycled lead, that they get from the same company. Not that its bad. Interstate batteries, including their AGMs and as well as Optimas and LIFELINE, all use the same lead supplier, and their batteries work just fine.
    But there are not that many companies making batteries for car, boats and trucks. Far less than you would think. Far less than there was. Its the ECOLOGY issue

The name of that company is Enersys, and they make car, boat batteries under the name Odyssey. I don't use them because I like dealing with my Interstate dealer and they haven't let me down yet.

Only one lead smelter. What about Exides lead smelter in Vernon, Ca. Yes they are having some legal issues. They owe my company 20k. But they are hoping to work things out soon. I hope.

As are Optimas

Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    They are the ONLY company supply the United States government and military with critical power, UPS batteries. And they do make a car/boat battery.

lol. You shouldn't use absolutes. They are not the ONLY one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul65K View Post
    Fair enough.....Interstate batteries (as well as Walmart batteries) are all made by Johnson Controls
    As are all Optimas

Melting aluminum in a foundry DOES NOT make you a aluminum producer. It means you have the capability of melting aluminum, and pouring it.
    Edelbrock, or American Wheels, or Buddy Bar casting, or any other FOUNDRY, NEVER made on ounce of aluminum, they melt it and pour it. They do not refine it.
    I can pour aluminum in my back yard and have over charcoal with a blower, melting aluminum cans.
    'If I gave you 10,000 and year, and supplied you the bauxite, you couldn't produce me a single pound of aluminum. Very few companies can.
    Steel mills are NOT steel producers. They DO NOT need a blast furnace to MILL STEEL
    Lead "milling" is no different. Do you see the difference??

Melting and forming lead plate DOES NOT, make you a smelter. There is NO lead Smelting plant in Vernon!!!!!
    That's as crazy as saying there is a steel blast furnace in downdown Los Anegles.
    There is NO company in Vernon or anywhere else in Calif taking this shit and making batteries!!!

Is there POSSIBLY some tiny ass company out there smelting a few thousand pounds of lead? Possibly, but I doubt it, and NO battery company is depending on them to supply them with the MILLIONS of TONS of lead they need every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_Run_Company
    Last edited by gn7; 09-17-2013 at 11:20 PM.

This a video of Enersys/ Odyssey making batteries.

NOWHERE IN THIS VIDEO ARE THEY SMELTING LEAD!!!
    Ever hear of East Penn Batteries?? NO? Chances are you have bought one and never knew it. One of the largest and oldest manufactures of lead acid car batteries in the country!! NEVER SMELTED A SINGLE OUNCE OF LEAD!!!
    This is the same basic process every beattery company in the country uses when producing a battery. Making a battery DOES NOT REQUIRE YOU TO SMELT LEAD!!, any more than it requires you to mine it!!!
    I guess next somebody is going to tell me that Exide mines their fucking lead as well. Probably in Compton or Inglewood!!

Last edited by gn7; 09-18-2013 at 01:18 AM.