Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Welcome back, UP 4014.....

Continuing my very popular postings on the restoration and eventual return to service of the UP 4014. Better known as the Big Boy. These were the largest steam engines ever built, and were built solely for one railroad, the Union Pacific Railroad. My Alma Matter, so to speak. Before I came to Amtrak, I worked for 17 years for the UP, so this engine is as much my heritage as the guys still over there. So enjoy the postings, feel free to ask any questions about the engine....I will post to it time to time, but not daily, as the news on it is sporadic at best......enjoy.....

This months installment is about the prep work going on to prepare the engine for the long journey back to Cheyenne, where it worked nearly all of it's life, and will be rebuilt also....for those that are not familiar with steam locomotives, this is power on a level that most people can not comprehend even to this day....

Very cool, thanks for sharing

Riding on a steam locomotive is still on my 'list' of things to do.

Welcome back, UP 4014.....

Subscribed!
    CH3NO2

Went to see it at the fair 2 weeks ago. They've moved it from up front to the rear of the track it sits on. According to the museum folk they're (UP) gonna lay temp track from the museum to the metrolink tracks on the north side of the fairgrounds. From there its supposed to go to the colton locomotive yard for final prep to move to WY. Im curious if UP is fast tracking the resto or if it a project that will be done as money and time allow.

Back in my much younger days (back in the late 70s) when I was putting myself through school I worked at a steel mill that made bolsters and sideframes for the railcars and I was around locomotives all the time, it was hot heavy work, but I made a lot of money and it paid for my school, I eventually retired early at 49 so it worked out well, cool stuff.
    Last edited by 314joey; 09-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Went to see it at the fair 2 weeks ago. They've moved it from up front to the rear of the track it sits on. According to the museum folk they're (UP) gonna lay temp track from the museum to the metrolink tracks on the north side of the fairgrounds. From there its supposed to go to the colton locomotive yard for final prep to move to WY. Im curious if UP is fast tracking the resto or if it a project that will be done as money and time allow.
    It's fast tracked for the 2018 season as I recall. Could be earlier. Time will tell if it makes it down here into Cal. supposedly as part of the deal with the Historical group that gave the engine back to the UP, they are supposed to bring it down here and donate all of the proceeds from the ticket sales to the society. But the Bigboys did not like coming into LA as the curves were too sharp....so they stayed out in the Midwest where there are not too many tight curves. UP brought her into LA in 1962 via Cajon pass...supposedly as the story goes, the Santa Fe banned them because they straightened out all the curves on Cajon...LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by Tishimself View Post
    It's fast tracked for the 2018 season as I recall. Could be earlier. Time will tell if it makes it down here into Cal. supposedly as part of the deal with the Historical group that gave the engine back to the UP, they are supposed to bring it down here and donate all of the proceeds from the ticket sales to the society. But the Bigboys did not like coming into LA as the curves were too sharp....so they stayed out in the Midwest where there are not too many tight curves. UP brought her into LA in 1962 via Cajon pass...supposedly as the story goes, the Santa Fe banned them because they straightened out all the curves on Cajon...LOL....
    so the drivers dont articulate like the leads and the rears?

Quote Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    so the drivers dont articulate like the leads and the rears?
    you coming out this weekend to havasu......we hav an extra room if you want,...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FORCEFULL View Post
    you coming out this weekend to havasu......we hav an extra room if you want,...
    I totally would but I have a early morning appt sat and normas school she works for has a graduation at noon.

Im off this weekend and can't go to the river. Errrr. I havent been to havasu since DS. Squeezed in a couple of parker trips and the damn run though. This season has sucked for me with everything I got goin on.