Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    WESTERNAERO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    ask and you shall receive
    I wasn't asking, I was suggesting. This isn't my deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTERNAERO View Post
    I wasn't asking, I was suggesting. This isn't my deal.
    I PMed him. Good Idea...

Great news. Greg's Dad (Gary) called me today and he found some of Greg's old paperwork for the Spectra. Hopefully, this will put some of the missing links together for me.

I think I got a good idea on the Compression Ratio and Effective Compression Ratio. Thanks goes out to WESTERNAERO for proof reading and helping me grunch some of the numbers.

With .043 Gasket

ECR = ((Boost / 14.7) + 1) * compression ratio

((6.5 / 14.7) + 1) * 8.26 = 11.91
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 04-17-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I found some of Danny's old posts on www.riverracer.net. Shaun the owner of the site had saved a lot of the old Hotboat.com posts and threads prior to the magazines meltdown. The following posts lead me to Greg Shoemaker. I am working with Greg to get the Cam Card and the Dyno Sheet. It's a long shot but Greg did put a call into Dan Douglas and he said he would look for them.

...Well, looks like my boat sold less power so I have a motor that needs a new home. Looking to get rid of it. Motor has 1 hour of dyno time since it was torn completely down, checked out, and rebuilt. Motor maybe has 30-40 hours on it TOTAL. It has all of the best parts in it.

...World Industries block
    ...Dart Pro 1 polished CNC Heads
    ...The Blower Shop 10-71 Blower
    ...MSD 6M Ignition
    ...Super Chiller
    ...Two Gary Williams Dominators
    ...Billet Crank
    ...ARP fasteners
    ...Etc.

...Motor put out 989h.p. on 6.5lbs of boost on pump gas. The motor is way over built for where it was running. A duplicate motor on Race Gas put out well over 1200h.p. and there was still room to go. There are no issues with this motor and it starts, idles, runs, perfectly. I can produce dyno sheets and will pay for an independent mechanic to go through the motor and sign off on it. Once that is done, that is where the warranty stops. I am 100% confident in this motor or I would not be selling it. As with anything high performance, there is NO WARRANTY what so ever once your mechanic gives it the green light.

...I can also help whoever buys this motor install it in their boat. You get the motor complete marine (less headers & motor mounts). Everything else is there and is ready to drop it in the boat. This would be a great re-power or something for a new boat awaiting production.

...Just FYI, I am looking to get somewhere around $18-20K for this motor. Call up Pfaff, GT, or Teague. For something similar, you are looking between $40-50K

...Initial is about 8 or 8.25:1. When I say pump gas, I mean 91 octane. That is what we ran it on the dyno at and no problems. Knock sensor didn't detect anything. Just to be on the safe side, I always splashed between 5-10 gallons of av gas into the tank prior to running it. Cheap insurance on the motor. They say that fuel looses between 1-2 octane points per month. Last thing you need is to have the fuel sit in the tanks (either in the boat or gas station) and pump bad gas through a high performance motor. It would live on 89, but I DO NOT suggest running it on 89 (much less running it hard)!

...Nope. You didn't miss it, I forgot to add it. It is a 572cid and it was built by Dan Douglas from GS Marine. He owed me a favor and did this motor for me. We worked with a bunch of different builders to get the ideal combination. Tom Papp was in on it, Dougans Machining, PFM, Westech, etc. I ordered the parts and had them delivered to me. We then got together and I watched as it was assembled. Dan Douglas did all of the assembly and then it was dialed in by Steve Brule over at Westech.

...By the end of the day, I was very happy where the motor ended up. It puts out 946@5600 and the lowest we pulled was 4500rpm and at 4500rpm the motor was making 954ft/lbs of torque. (And I was wondering why I keep going through drives). Steve Brule from Westech said that I could get an additional 100-200 H.P. if I wanted to run race gas, but I opted to stop there. I am only running 6.5lbs of boost and the motor is fat and happy.
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 12-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Greg Shoemaker called me yesterday saying Dan Douglas found the Cam Card and the Dyno Sheet. Dan's on vacation right now but he should be back this week so hopefully I have that information by next week.

Also, Greg's Dad pulled through for me and found some of Greg's old paperwork. This is some of the work Hi Tech Marine did on the Spectra.

Name:  Hi_Tech_Marine_RecieptWithout0001.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Hi_Tech_Marine_RecieptWithout0002.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  52.6 KB

WESTERNAERO
    Update?????

No real updates at this point. Greg Shoemaker told me Dan is still on vacation so no cam card or dyno sheet. Lew Larson told me that the machine shop is waiting on rod bushings.

Dan Douglas faxed me over the first Dyno Sheet from 2002 with 5 PSI. He didn't find the one they did with 6.5 PSI.

Name:  572_Dyno_Sheet0001.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  572_Dyno_Sheet0002.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  572_Dyno_Sheet0003.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  572_Dyno_Sheet0004.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  26.4 KB
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 01-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Lew got the rotating assembly back from the machine shop. The engine is now an internally balanced engine instead of internally balanced on the front an externally balanced on the back of the engine.

Name:  CrowerCrank_Slugs.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  CrowerCrank_Slugs1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  JE_Pistons.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  ManleyRod_Pistons.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  ManleyRods_Pistons1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by 78Southwind; 05-22-2014 at 11:58 AM.