Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Another angle. Not sure if posted already.

I believe the green Skater is off to the left at the beginning of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post

Is it just me or is that way too close for comfort? If I was the guy in the fishing boat I think I would've bailed.

Quote Originally Posted by GotHalos View Post
    Is it just me or is that way too close for comfort? If I was the guy in the fishing boat I think I would've bailed.
    Yeah.. He's just a tad to far out there lol. I definitely would be hugging the shore.

Not sure who to point the finger at though.

GRADS
    Poker runs are bullshit which is made clearly obvious by the last video. You want to have a "fun run" then limit the speeds to -80 mph. If you want to go any faster than that, have it on a closed course with all the safety equipment/training needed.

Re: Accident at Lake Cumberland PR

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Poker runs are bullshit which is made clearly obvious by the last video. You want to have a "fun run" then limit the speeds to -80 mph. If you want to go any faster than that, have it on a closed course with all the safety equipment/training needed.
    This might be a first, but I agree with Grads. An open coarse puts the responsibilities right back on the driver that is going to fast for the conditions.

Again my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends.

Huntington Beach, CA/ Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Cats, unlike V's, want to fly. They are designed to pack air and lift the boat out of the water, at higher speeds. Even at slow speeds, Cats will launch off rollers and wakes. Where a V would more than likely plow through that same wake or roller. I've aired my little boat out a couple times where all I saw was sky for a split second. Makes you gasp for that split second, but then the boat lands and all is good. That was going less than 100. I would imagine, the smallest disturbance in the water, at the speeds those boats roll, can cause any number of things to happen. And more than likely there was absolutely nothing the driver could have done to prevent it. I agree with not placing blame. Two souls were lost and their families and friends are devastated. We may never know the true cause. For most of us, machines like that are probably not in our future. Just as in owning any exotic vehicle, there are inherent risks involved with operating them. For me personally, I would prefer to leave this earth doing something I love to do vs getting into a traffic accident on the freeway. Hopefully their families can find some solace in that. RIP guys.
    Very well said... Such a sad and unnecessary loss. God Speed!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and smokin, shouting "Holy Shit ...What A Ride!"

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post

Those spectators are way to close! That is extremely unsafe for all!!! They are squeezing the poker runners in my opinion.

Accident at Lake Cumberland PR

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Those spectators are way to close! That is extremely unsafe for all!!! They are squeezing the poker runners in my opinion.
    I have to completely disagree. Watch from the beginning of the clip. The rest of the poker run fleet continues down the center of the lake. This red skater turns left away from the fleet and heads straight toward the shoreline and the spectators. In fact you will see at the point where the red skater turns toward the spectators, the boat to the left of him cuts back across behind the red skaters line to hold a straight line down the lake with the rest of the fleet. This red skater is reckless and completely endangered himself and everyone else around him. Watch the video again and you'll wee what I'm talking about.

Accident at Lake Cumberland PR

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    The camera operator obviously knew about the PR, perhaps not the boat in the middle of the lake when the accident occurred?

Then the question becomes...

How many people are aware of the PR on a lake this size? How many casual boaters are aware during Desert Storm?

The why's and how's are endless. A lot less answers to this than there will be questions.

With the speeds these boats are routinely seeing maybe a heightened awareness to get the word out at the launch ramps, fuel stations, etc... may be a requirement from insurance and sanctioning bodies moving forward.

Regardless... The whole situation sucks and a lot of families are devastated. Godspeed to these men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    I have to completely disagree. Watch from the beginning of the clip. The rest of the poker run fleet continues down the center of the lake. This red skater turns left away from the fleet and heads straight toward the shoreline and the spectators. In fact you will see at the point where the red skater turns toward the spectators, the boat to the left of him cuts back across behind the red skaters line to hold a straight line down the lake with the rest of the fleet. This red skater is reckless and completely endangered himself and everyone else around him. Watch the video again and you'll wee what I'm talking about.
    Was the Red Skater trying to get some advantage on the rest of the fleet? I'm kind of like Wendi, it seems scary the way things are in the vid. Either the course is not well known or the red boat is trying to get an advantage. I dont see the green one in this video.