Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat & Mice View Post
    Super sad, RIP!!

From the video the red skater was overtaking the green skater. so I can't imagine the green skater had to turn to avoid a boat that just passed. after the flip you can see a third large cat pass between the wreck and the spectator boat so there seems to be plenty of room. It does not appear that the green boat was forced to go behind the red skater. Only aerial shots can give the whole story.

Its possible that when the green boat saw the red boat pass he was looking at it and naturally started to turn the way he was looking. at those speeds a very small turn at the wheel can make a huge difference in position. Its like when you go to change lanes on the freeway and look over your shoulder, its easy to slightly turn the way you are looking.

Either way its clear that cats going fast do not like to run in someones roost. Water does not compress like air and the water will lift the bow. Just like the DCB at DS. Although in that case it seems like the driver was forced or pinched. with just this video its hard to say the green Skater was forced to turn into the roost.

The one thing I hope happens from this is we start getting serious about proper safety gear. Its possible in this case proper neck restraints, jackets, and helmets would have saved two lives.

Disclaimer- this post is completely my own speculation.

MP
    Good insight! It does look alot like the incident at DS.

Wendi

after seeing the second video its pretty clear they turned left to avoid a cruiser crossing the lake in front of them. Its just a horrible accident. I am sure the cruiser had no idea that boats were approaching at those speeds. Not really anyones fault, just a series of things that ended up going wrong.

you never really know what happened unless you see everything from all angles.

MP

Wendi
    after seeing the second video its pretty clear they turned left to avoid a cruiser crossing the lake in front of them. Its just a horrible accident. I am sure the cruiser had no idea that boats were approaching at those speeds. Not really anyones fault, just a series of things that ended up going wrong.

MP
    I haven't seen the other video. So very sad just breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post

MP
    You are so correct very tragic ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post

Accident at Lake Cumberland PR

From that angle looks like the roost from the boat they attempted to overtake got under them?
    Wonder if there is any scientific information about how much pressure is exerted by boat roost?
    Just asking to generate healthy discussion, not applying blame to anyone.
    CH3NO2

Cats, unlike V's, want to fly. They are designed to pack air and lift the boat out of the water, at higher speeds. Even at slow speeds, Cats will launch off rollers and wakes. Where a V would more than likely plow through that same wake or roller. I've aired my little boat out a couple times where all I saw was sky for a split second. Makes you gasp for that split second, but then the boat lands and all is good. That was going less than 100. I would imagine, the smallest disturbance in the water, at the speeds those boats roll, can cause any number of things to happen. And more than likely there was absolutely nothing the driver could have done to prevent it. I agree with not placing blame. Two souls were lost and their families and friends are devastated. We may never know the true cause. For most of us, machines like that are probably not in our future. Just as in owning any exotic vehicle, there are inherent risks involved with operating them. For me personally, I would prefer to leave this earth doing something I love to do vs getting into a traffic accident on the freeway. Hopefully their families can find some solace in that. RIP guys.
    Last edited by HB Vic; 09-09-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Accident at Lake Cumberland PR

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Cats, unlike V's, want to fly. They are designed to pack air and lift the boat out of the water, at higher speeds. Even at slow speeds, Cats will launch off rollers and wakes. Where a V would more than likely plow through that same wake or roller. I've aired my little boat out a couple times where all I saw was sky for a split second. Makes you gasp for that split second, but then the boat lands and all is good. That was going less than 100. I would imagine, the smallest disturbance in the water, at the speeds those boats roll, can cause any number of things to happen. And more than likely there was absolutely nothing the driver could have done to prevent it. I agree with not placing blame. Two souls were lost and their family and friends are devastated. We may never know the true cause. For most of us, machines like that are probably not in our future. Just as in owning any exotic vehicle, there are inherent risks involved with operating them. For me personally, I would prefer to leave this earth doing something I love to do vs getting into a traffic accident on the freeway. Hopefully their families can find some solace in that. RIP guys.
    Good analogy HB, I have a small Daytona and I've had a couple of pucker moments with it too.
    CH3NO2

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    From that angle looks like the roost from the boat they attempted to overtake got under them?
    Wonder if there is any scientific information about how much pressure is exerted by boat roost?
    Just asking to generate healthy discussion, not applying blame to anyone.
    Its not so much the pressure of the spray. Its that so much water goes into the entrapment tunnel that it can literally plug the exist out the back of the boat. The water isn't compressible, so it reduces the volume of the entrapment area as well. As the water stacks up in the back it plugs the exit for the air and to it builds up enough pressure to kite the boat. The effect is aggravated by the fact that at some point the boat had one sponson on each side of the lead boats wake, which in effect created a crest or ridge of water under the boat, taking up even more entrapment volume. Add in the fact that the boat became a little upset crossing the wake, it was enough to make the whole thing totally unstable. Who knows, 25-30 further back, 25-30 mph slower, and its just a bump in the water.

It looks from the 2 videos that the crossing boat was not in his view until he made that move, and it may have been a knee jerk reaction to move left to create more space/time between him and the crossing boat.
    although the crossing boat was not as close as it appears in the second video, as evidenced in the first, (its out of the frame), at that speed stuff happens quick and he probably did what he thought was the safest thing to do. Sadly, its was safe for everybody involved but them.
    If he had gone straight he probably would have cleared the boat with a slight move to the left if at all. But you have a split second to make that decision, and he did what he thought was the safest thing to do. One thing is certain, Asbell was more aware of his speed than the driver of the cruiser was, or he would have never crossed in front of those 2 boats. I bet once he was dead in their line he was wishing he was somewhere else.

I always wondered about some sort of pressure hatch in the deck that would allow the air to escape if it builds to high, or the nose exceeds a given angle of attack. Like the flaps on Cup car, that disrupt the airflow over the car to keep it from going air borne.

Sadly, this kind of thing is going to happen when you hold a Poker Run with boats that fast on an open lake. Nobody would consider allowing boats to cross the course at a drag race or a circle race. But Poker Runs are not considered "races", regardless of the speeds. You can't have a Honda Civic crossing the track at Indy or Daytona. Why do they continue to think they can allow it at a Poker Run when the boats are capable of those speeds?
    Every time something like this happens, fewer and fewer sponsors, cities/lakes are going to be willing to have their name attached to them.