Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Sundance Saloon… Rumors, myths, and truths

Back in the day, Sundance Saloon was the “hot spot” on theParker Strip. Sundance preceded most ofthe bars on the Parker Strip, and it was certainly the most well-known. The Shubin brothers built Sundance from the ground up in 1972. Sundance opened for business in 1972 and remained open through the early 2000’s.

For those of you who do not remember Sundance in its heyday, just imagine the legal drinking age being 19, an almost anything goes atmosphere, and hot girls and guys elbow to elbow in one of the largest party clubs in the West. In its prime,Sundance Saloon was the destination place whenever a trip to the Parker Strip was in order.

We recently had an opportunity to tour the saloon and meet with Jim Shubin. While the saloon is currently in disrepair, I could not help but remember what it was like when the saloon was open. I could hear the band playing, I could see people gathered around the large bar, tons of boats parked at thedocks, and people from wall to wall having a good time. It was almost more than a flashback, I had to pinch myself and gather my thoughts.

Sundance has somewhat of a checkered recent past. The property was sold and operated for several years until its final closing around 2005/2006. The previous owners returned the property tothe Shubins early in 2012. Faced with atremendous task of either renovating the property or marketing it for sale, the Shubins have decided to do both. A taskI could not imagine doing considering the current condition of the property.

Rumors circulated over the years that Sundance had various infrastructure issues including a rumored sewer system issue. These same rumors are what eventually forced Sundance to close its doors. Absolutely untrue according to Shubin. In fact, Shubin tells us that same sewer system can and has been approved for use today. Shubin goes on to say abigger/better sewer system will eventually be installed that will allow the property to be multi-use including potential condominiums and or a restaurant.

Currently the Shubin brothers are working very hard to bringback the icon of the Parker Strip. New docks have been installed and work is currently being done to reopen what was once the most famous saloon on the West Coast. Work will continue in preparation for a May2013 opening while the property is on the market or the Shubin’s find a suitable partner to potentially run the saloon.

When talking to Jim Shubin, one can’t help but sense the tremendous pride he has for the Saloon. One can’t help but also sense the sadness he feels for the Saloon in its current condition. Nonetheless, Shubin seems driven and excited for the future of the Saloon, taking the time to pointout some of the changes and improvements that are in the works for the Saloon.

Some might say, why do we need another Saloon on the Parker Strip?

I would simply respond, Sundance Saloon isn’t just another bar on the river. It is a world famous destination point that just happens to be on the Parker Strip.

We look forward to the grand reopening of the Sundance Saloon sometime in May 2013 and will certainly be there in support of the Shubins hard work.

-HB

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by GotHalos; 03-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Few more
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Great pics! Can't wait!

That was a great write up!!! Lives the pics! Anything can be made right with money. How to capitalize it and create it over again is the ticket. Maybe when the economy turns around?

Awesome!!!! Counting down the days till it re-opens!! Party on!

Sundance Saloon: Rumors, myths, and truths

For those who may not know, Sundance Saloon is located in Parker Arizona.
    Last edited by HB Vic; 10-27-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Great right up ...... If walls could talk .......

Oh hell yeah! Nice write-up and best of luck to the Shubin's

Sundance Saloon… Rumors, myths, and truths

We could have spent the entire day there. Mr Shubin is a wealth of knowledge and is very passionate about the Sundance. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with him.

As I recall, it was a big circus style tent the 1st couple years ? those day's are kinda "hazy" to me now :grey::confused-new:
    Skiing Parker since 1960