Hotboat of the Month - revamp #2 (proposed)

We are thinking about making another change to the contest. This change affects who can enter, actually which boats can enter and when they can enter. Initially we thought all boats should be able to enter. But that really isn't fair for many reasons. Just like cars and hotrods, boats too also have major differences. The easiest would probably be bought vs built, and lake vs offshore. So the thought now is to rotate which boats enter for a particular month. For example; if we break it up in to two major categories, say "25' and under" and "Over 25'", it might make the field a little more level. This would still keep the competition as fierce as it has been, but it will also give the guys with the larger boats a fighting chance to enter their rides and compete with boats that are similar. These two separate classes would give both boats a much more equal chance at winning. We would rotate the classes. This month, 25' and under. Next month, 26' and larger. What are your thoughts??

My thought is that big boats are pretty boring to look at. If they aren't winning a contest against the hot rods of boats, then they shouldn't win period

Quote Originally Posted by rivergames View Post
    My thought is that big boats are pretty boring to look at. If they aren't winning a contest against the hot rods of boats, then they shouldn't win period
    Exactly my point. Most custom built, 10,000 hour boats are under 25'. Not saying they all are, but most of the completely custom, hand built machines are under 25. Now, I can also say that most of the most expensive boats out there are probably larger than 25'. Case in point would be a machine like the 50' Mystic Turbine boat "My Way". I can appreciate a $300K Schiada just as much as I can appreciate a $2.5M turbine boat. But they are apples and oranges. Both owners put blood, sweat, and tears in to their machines. But I for one would not want both of these bad ass machines in a contest competing against eachother. So all we're trying to accomplish here is leveling out the field a little. My example is probably extreme. Switching off the classes each month still give everyone a chance to complete. In fact, it will give the guys with the larger boats a little more incentive to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Exactly my point. Most custom built, 10,000 hour boats are under 25'. Not saying they all are, but most of the completely custom, hand built machines are under 25. Now, I can also say that most of the most expensive boats out there are probably larger than 25'. Case in point would be a machine like the 50' Mystic Turbine boat "My Way". I can appreciate a $300K Schiada just as much as I can appreciate a $2.5M turbine boat. But they are apples and oranges. Both owners put blood, sweat, and tears in to their machines. But I for one would not want both of these bad ass machines in a contest competing against eachother. So all we're trying to accomplish here is leveling out the field a little. My example is probably extreme. Switching off the classes each month still give everyone a chance to complete. In fact, it will give the guys with the larger boats a little more incentive to enter.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. Kind of like a car show though. Everyone wants to go see the hot rods that are loud, shiney, and bad ass. Who would go to a car show that only had mini vans?

WMC
    I'm open to alternating months with the options mentioned above. We all appreciate the guys that have participated thus far, badass boats and lots of work put into them. But we also want to give the big boats a chance to. Please continue to give us your feedback it is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WMC View Post
    I'm open to alternating months with the options mentioned above. We all appreciate the guys that have participated thus far, badass boats and lots of work put into them. But we also want to give the big boats a chance to. Please continue to give us your feedback it is very much appreciated.
    x 2 on that your right some are very nice bought right from the factor built the way you order it Compared to some of us guys that custom built every thing right down to the nuts and bolts lol can get bummed and the bigger ones should be able to show there too good idea someone is thinking good here

This month, 25' and under. Next month, 26' and larger

But my boat is 25' 6"

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    This month, 25' and under. Next month, 26' and larger

But my boat is 25' 6"
    Lol yeah I thought about that. 25 and .000001 falls in 26' class

Just being a smartass under 25 and over 25.
    None of my boats come close to what you guys run.
    All jet boats.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Bonneville View Post
    Just being a smartass under 25 and over 25.
    None of my boats come close to what you guys run.
    All jet boats.
    We like jet boats too.