Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wendi

LOTO 25th Anniversay Review

Great write up KAP. Your hospitality to Mr. And Mrs. Hotboat was very much appreciated they had nothing but great things to say about you and their LOTO experience. We can't wait till next year!!

Kap, thanks for your kind words. Terry and I feel the same about you (and Mrs. Kap). I've said it before; I will show you a house on Christmas Day, but the Saturday and Sunday of the Shootout? My little business is CLOSED!

If some of you are thinking about coming to The Shootout next year. Some logistics I thought might be helpful.

Our lake is comprised of over 1100 miles of shoreline. It is measured by mile markers ( aka MM) starting at Bagnell Dam which is at the zero MM. The main lake is sometimes also called the channel is the Osage Arm. Captain Ron's is at the 35 MM of the main lake. That means its 35 water miles from Bagnell Dam.

There are also 'arms' off the Osage. They have their own mile markers. Some of the arms are the Gravois, the Big Niangua, and the Grand Glaize arms. For example, the mouth of the Gravois arm is at the 6 mile marker of the channel (Osage). If you go to Coconuts Restaurant, that is located approximately 6 miles up the Gravois Arm. The host for Skaterfest is Camden on the Lake (The Toad). That is located at the 7 MM on the channel.

All of the different areas have restaurants, condo's, rentable homes, lodging and gas docks. It gets a little more remote the higher the mile marker.

I will tell you that most days and most especially this past weekend, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to live here, work here and still look out the window and can't get over how beautiful it all is.

I think after Kap and HB's stellar reviews, I may do one from the boating spectator's perspective.....

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Great commentary!!!!! Thanks for participating, the event would be nothing if it wasn't for people like you who run in it!!!
    Wow! Thanks for such kind words. You are right though everyone who participates in the Shootout is to be commended. Including all the volunteers who work the event.

Got Halos, WMC and Wendi...thanks for the nice commentary. I try and down play how super friendly Mr. & Mrs. HB really are...very classy people.

I would also add the boating community is really close more so than people understand. Which is why everyone needs to be positive with one another and ultra friendly because our paths will continue to cross at events such as this one.

KAP

P.S. Ann you and Terry are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
    Kap, thanks for your kind words. Terry and I feel the same about you (and Mrs. Kap). I've said it before; I will show you a house on Christmas Day, but the Saturday and Sunday of the Shootout? My little business is CLOSED!

If some of you are thinking about coming to The Shootout next year. Some logistics I thought might be helpful.

Our lake is comprised of over 1100 miles of shoreline. It is measured by mile markers ( aka MM) starting at Bagnell Dam which is at the zero MM. The main lake is sometimes also called the channel is the Osage Arm. Captain Ron's is at the 35 MM of the main lake. That means its 35 water miles from Bagnell Dam.

There are also 'arms' off the Osage. They have their own mile markers. Some of the arms are the Gravois, the Big Niangua, and the Grand Glaize arms. For example, the mouth of the Gravois arm is at the 6 mile marker of the channel (Osage). If you go to Coconuts Restaurant, that is located approximately 6 miles up the Gravois Arm. The host for Skaterfest is Camden on the Lake (The Toad). That is located at the 7 MM on the channel.

All of the different areas have restaurants, condo's, rentable homes, lodging and gas docks. It gets a little more remote the higher the mile marker.

I will tell you that most days and most especially this past weekend, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to live here, work here and still look out the window and can't get over how beautiful it all is.

I think after Kap and HB's stellar reviews, I may do one from the boating spectator's perspective.....
    I think you should write something up, especially since you have been there to see this event a few times Thank you again for allowing us to hang out on your beautiful boat. Next time we will most certainly be better prepared.

Wendi

LOTO 25th Anniversay Review

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    I think you should write something up, especially since you have been there to see this event a few times Thank you again for allowing us to hang out on your beautiful boat. Next time we will most certainly be better prepared.
    And you will have more crew members

Nice write up Kap, and congratulations on a great run

BTW, I checked my phone, and I must have missed your call for someone to help you at LOTO

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post

Great information here

One of my favorite pictures Hb got of KAP'S DW

KAP, Well said and could not have expressed it any better myself. Thank you my friend for introducing me to LOTO and some wonderful people. LOTO and everyone I met were so kind and generous. It was an honor to meet everyone, especially, Mr. and Mrs HB, and Terry and Ann (a.k.a. crazyfish). It is an experience that every boater needs to attend, and if you think you know boating and have never been to LOTO, you definitely need to go and get the experience. It was an amazing experience and KAP taught me more in 4 days than what I thought I knew from a lifetime of boating. I hope to keep the wonderful relationships that I made while there and can't wait to go back. It was an honor to be Kap's wingman, and hope I did him and the 32 DW proud! I will never forget the 50 mile stretch at over 100mph+, I know that not any big boat can handle that! until next time!
    Best wishes to HB and Crazyfish! keep in touch! ~ Garry (a.k.a. G-Rah)

Lets see if this version looks a little better. Name:  DSC_1224A.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  98.3 KB

...From a Shootout Spectator's Point of View:

About 6 weeks ahead of the event; call Kap. Have a place to stay yet? Remind him of the need to defend his prior year's title and his responsibility to 'entertain us'. lol.

Approximately one month prior to the Shootout weekend, I send a shout out email to friends we boat with. Either they are welcome aboard our boat or we'll coordinate meeting people on their own boats and following each other to the racecourse so we can raft up together. We travel from the 5 mile marker to the race course at the 35 MM. One group of friends (who have a particular wooden ski for doing shots of tequila), we met at a prior raft up at the Shootout. Strangers in the morning, friends forever by the afternoon...I love that part.

Days before the Shootout: Step One: Gas up the CrazyFish. Gas is currently about $4.09 a gallon on the water. In Missouri, you can submit all of your boat gas receipts at the end of the year and the State will refund you the road tax which will buy you a nice dinner and a bottle of wine. Step Two: Gather provisions. This includes water, adult beverages, smoked salmon, artichoke and feta casserole, brownies, more water. Towels, floaties, sunscreen, bathing suits, camera's, binoculars, more sunscreen.

Day before the ShootOut. Reconfirm plans and departure time. The goal is to meet a total of three boats along the way. Us at the 5MM, a racer* bringing his family down at the 10MM and the big challenge, the third boat coming from beyond the 35MM race course, upstream to meet all of us.

Saturday of the races: Departure at 7:00 a.m.. Pick up friends near The Toad. Am told that Rick needs gas. Catch up with us, I say. And they do. It takes our gas guzzler about an hour and a half to get to the course. Its a beautiful cruise though. Cool(er), fairly quiet and just race boats jumping our wake and flying by.

About 2 miles prior to the actual racecourse starts the no-wake area to keep the water as calm as possible for the racers. We are anchoring in 70 feet of water. The goal is for the bigger boats to anchor the spectator line for smaller boats. There are volunteers on jet skis that are there to help us anchor. (God bless 'em). Miraculously, all 3 boats are lined up next to each other at the finish line. Sweet! In 20 minutes, there are 75 boats tied up to us. An hour after that? Countless. You might think with all the boat captains at the helms of their babies, that ego's could get in the way. Nope. Its just like going into a football stadium and parking where they (the volunteers on jet skis) tell you to.

Now its time to kick back, relax, and sip a mimosa. Tune the radio to listen to the Shootout coverage. We float in the water, which is cooler than normal for this time of year (13" of rain, 2 weeks before), but perfect. The bow of our boat is pointed to the shore and the aft pointed to the race course. We have breakfast and walk from boat to boat greeting our friends. Saturday is the crazier day of the two and it is not for the faint of heart. You are rafted up for the duration of the day.

Standing on the bow, you can watch which racers are heading from Captain Ron's boat docks towards the starting line. I believe the rule is that the racing boat can be going no more than 40 mph when they hit the Start line. You can see the rooster tails as the boats hit the course. It is something to see. To see your friends or someone you know, racing is (I promise you) as much a thrill for us as it is for you. Ok, maybe a little more thrill for you..

The end of the day comes about 4 p.m. on Saturday. Now to get thousands of boats' anchors up, engines started and 75% of them heading upstream (towards the dam). Last year, it was pouring rain when the races ended. We were apparently hooked on a '57 Chevy at the bottom of the lake and could not raise our anchor. In the end, we had to bid it farewell, race home, watch a YouTube video on how to braid a new anchor on, and then back out on Sunday, good to go.

The ride home: In years past, there have been some alarming youtube videos of the 'ride home' from the Shootout. My advice? Don't be the first to leave. Take your time. Let the go fast boats go first. Speed is their need, but slow is the only speed ours goes. The channel gets narrow in spots, and it is the choppiest water you'll see all year. If you are in a pontoon heading upstream, I'd wait an hour before you leave the race course. Or head to Captain Ron's and let the traffic die down.

We get back to home, exhausted, but delighted. It was such a great day. Our friend had a personal best and set a record. We re-charge our batteries and are ready to do it all again Sunday.

Sunday: Its a MUCH calmer day. Many of the weekenders have to head home. School has already started. So there are much fewer spectator boats. Today, we take a leisurely cruise down and tie up with friends who found a cove and slept on their boat the night before. Great. It's like having someone save you a seat. We get anchored, no problem and then join two lines as they fill in, and we're good for the day. Sunday is usually when the serious racers go for it (if they haven't already done it).

We were delighted to have Mr. and Mrs. HotBoat aboard for some of the day on Sunday. My what a big lens you have Mr. HB! Kap brought them out in his boat. For the spectators to see his boat up close, along the spectator line, is a thrill and never gets old.

To see My Way run 224 mph was spectacular. He ran at approximately 10:10 a.m., I believe the second racer of the day. For us, we love seeing records broken!

Anyone is welcome to come 'crew' on our boat next year. It would be our pleasure to introduce you to this spectacular
    event!

best,
    anne

* Rick raced a 43' Outerlimits named Kahuna (Orange)