Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LOTO 25th Anniversay Review

Hello Hotboat Membership:

I usually do a review of every Poker Run and Boating event I attend...even more so if it was outstanding. I have chosen HOTBOAT as the first venue to post my review.

PREFACE:

I have attended and participated at the Shootout numerous years. I have won every division except for the Top Gun. This would include Open Novice, Professional, and Manufacturers in more than one class. I live in San Diego California and my home is as far southwesterly as I can get from LOTO. {LOTO is short for Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri} From an organizational and logistical perspective it is tough to haul a boat and all the equipment needed from such a distance [See distance below].
    Yahooriving directions San Diego CA to Sunrise Beach, MO Distance: 1727.15 miles — Time: 24:30 h

Initially I was on the fence about going this year. As it is a huge time commitment, not to mention a lot of preparation and travel expenses. As I pondered the pro's and con's. A friend of ours Ann Mitchell telephoned me and asked if I had booked my accommodations. I had not...but decided based on her prompting and because it was the 25th Anniversary of the Shootout. I knew it would be tough to miss because everyone was going to be attending. Mid-West boating is also a huge draw from the people to the venue you really cannot understand how amazing the area is unless you experience it.

My usual crew Mrs. Kap and my crew chief KR could not attend and I did not want to go solo even though I could. I talked to a guy named Gary [an acquaintance at the river] about going to LOTO with me. Gary has been around boats but not the performance boating scene. I knew he would be a tremendous asset if he decided to roll with me. Turns out he earn his stripes as a full fledged wingman by Sunday night.

Logistics:

Online many people think going to far off venues is an easy endeavor. It is not! Even more so if your going with the intention of participating versus just flying in and spectating. If you intend on going and you live more than 5 hours from LOTO. You need to do your homework and be prepared otherwise it will not be an enjoyable time.

Find lodging each area has it's hurdles but always find a home base that can accommodate your party and boat size. The bigger the boat the better it is on the water but harder to find overnight arrangements and or launch ramps. LOTO is challenging in many ways and quite confusing to the newbie. Travelling on land and water are completely different. Once you see a map of LOTO you will understand that going by land is sometimes quicker than water. Case in point we went to Coconuts Bar from Captain Rons and it is a long distance by water many would rather drive a car.

It takes approximately two days to drive to LOTO from San Diego with boat in tow. During our trip out we blew one tire which caused some severe damage to the trailer but lucky enough it did not hurt the boat too much. We rallied like two nascar pit crew members and changed it out in 20 minutes. I was prepared with jack and tools to address most any tire related issues on the way. This is often overlooked but trailer prep is a must...do it or you will be sorry.

The poker run is usually done on this day and all the poker runners gather up at the sponsor lake side restaurant for the start. The participants follow a pace boat and then are released to run the course card locations. You needed to go to at least five locations. At each location you collected punches on your poker run entry card. This is done so the boat captain can be eligible to draw cards at the last stop. We opted to do testing on the boat this year in the morning. As it turns out we made the right choice because we needed more time to test than what we allocated. My goal in attending the shootout was to run faster than last years run of 113MPH.

Last years runs of 113 MPH really made a statement...as no other pleasure 32 foot boat with stock 300XS motors can even come close to that speed. I knew the boat had more in it because we ran 115MPH at Lake Elsinore during testing in January of this year. The only issue was would I be able to do it with the heat and humidity of LOTO.

On Friday we ran a total of 134 miles for the day which included testing time. The lake had a lot of cruiser traffic on Friday and it was one rough but fun day of boating. We even managed to pick up a few friends Ben Smith and Mr. & Mrs. Hotboat wherein we proceeded to air the boat out and give them a water view of LOTO.

NOTE: LOTO had flooding weeks before the Shootout and the lake was full of debris and most of all logs that were the size of telephone poles. Yes! it was rather unnerving and many racers and poker runners lost lower units and or damaged them on Friday.

SATURDAY:

We were preparing for the Shootout at the launch ramp putting the "go fast" props on the boat. When I discovered we hit a log with the starboard engine and it put a huge divet in my skeg. I managed to repair the skeg and get it close to straight before heading over to my assigned slip at Captain Rons.

Weather on Saturday was hot and miserably humid. I was soaked from head to toe from the humidity which caused me concern that the motors would not be making the power. I knew my run would need to be absolutely perfect as the temperature and humidity were simply not cooperating for me. I had not decided whether to run or not on Saturday but decided I had sufficient time to make changes on Sunday if the boat wasn't running perfect.

As it turned out the wind picked up slightly right as I started my run. The boat began to pack air and it was rock solid when it took the set. When I came through the radar trap. I was confident the run was a good one. I could not run the boat any better it was hooked up and on rails coming through. Once I got my helmet off I discovered I had a unprecedented run of 115MPH. The goal I set out to accomplish was now in the record books and I came back to the docks and began to celebrate with my crew member Gary and a few others.

SUNDAY:

I decided I would not run again given the conditions and trying to best 115MPH would be difficult. Thus, we docked the boat at Ron's and cultivated new friendships and socialized for the remainder of the day. While at Captain Rons we can see all the racers doing there runs on a jumbo screen.

The "My Way" boat was simply spectacular Bill Tomlinson is a classy guy and deserves the "Top Gun" honors including the fastest run in 25 years at LOTO. The video does not do justice to how fast the boat was accelerating. It was jaw dropping to say the least...it literally will have you in awe just watching it.

Sundays crowds on the water were good but nothing like Saturdays raft up which spanned the entire course including the safety slow down area once they past the finish line. What makes the Shootout such a huge event is the number of spectators and the television coverage by KMRS. You could not find a bar, marina or fuel dock that did not have a television(s) with the Shootout on it. The Mid West boaters are hardcore the raft up for the Shootout is "Epic" in terms of size and sheer variety of boats. You have huge Vikings down to Triton Bass Boats all tied up in long lines to watch the spectacle of the Shootout.

If you ever get a chance to go...do not hesitate it is an experience of a life time. You might just fall in love with LOTO. I know I have the people are friendly, polite, and love to boat. As one person put it "ya gotta love the lake life" I whole heartedly agree.

In closing I have been to many venues and I have yet to find one that even comes close to LOTO. In every category boating, restaurants/bars, marinas, ability to boat long distances pick one LOTO has it. Thank you to all the people and racers who made this years Shootout a "My Way" incredible event.

KAP

Footnote 1: Ron Dugan aka Captain Ron is the man behind the event along with countless volunteers who are awesome in everyway. This years as always he did not let anyone down... his leadership and organization are the envy of the boating community. He is a down to earth person and one of the main reasons the Shootout is so successful. Ron gets five stars from me in every category.

Footnote2: It was great having Mr. & Mrs. Hotboat on board. When you are far from home it is always nice to see people you know...it also makes the experience much more familiar. We also have great people who live at LOTO Ann & Terry Mitchell you guys are like my MO family. Gary G. great wingman on this trip. Ben Smith Valley View Resorts and Fuel great getting to know you and your family. I left out a ton of others but your in my thoughts.

PHOTOS:
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by KAP; 08-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Re: LOTO 25th Anniversay Review

What an awesome write up!

Thank you so much for that.

Tapatalk 4.0

Thanks for taking the time. Great pictures of your boat running on this site!

Here is a video of the run taken with a smart phone.

Yeah I know its not the best in terms of clarity... but it gives you a perspective.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3j1...?usp=drive_web

Funny the runs are sponsored by Papa Chubby's LMAO...I had a chubby on that run.

KAP

Great review Kap, thank you for posting. Great weekend, great friends, great boating, great lake, great pizza, and great floaters

Great write up KAP.

Rivermobster, Mateo thanks for chiming in... glad you liked it.

HB it is depressing coming home after a week of thrills and adventure.

Oh you had to mention the floaters. They have a drink called the Rum Runner and it's a rum drink like a slurpee and then they add
    a tube of 151 Bacardi to it. I can certainly confirm it will creep up on you if your not careful. Love that drink wish they had it out West I would never make it to the water....laughing.

KAP

P.S. Thanks 270 appreciate it always.

Footnote to HB: Your membership has increased and your coverage of the event was awesome.

Great commentary!!!!! Thanks for participating, the event would be nothing if it wasn't for people like you who run in it!!!

Excellent write-up!

I always love reading trip reports like this, especially when it's about such an amazing event

Thank you for posting

WMC
    Awesome write up. www.hotboat.com is 2 for 2 in write ups on the LOTO experience.