Thoughts on Dog Life Jackets???

So we are going to the river for Labor Day and bringing out 1.5 year old lab we recently adopted.
    My girl is insisting we get a life jacket for him. We will be on the beach as well as in the boat.
    I am up in the air and not really sure if it is necessary or not.

I am interested to heard all your opinions on the life jacket for the dog?

May I add, we have only had him in a pool twice. He has not been in any other body of water.

Thoughts on Dog Life Jackets???

Swimming is not the problem. It's getting them back in the boat. The life jacket has a handle you can pull them in with. We used it just for that purpose at first but now he jumps in the water so fast we can't get the vest on him. By the end of the trip he can barely walk he is so tired but if he sees the water he will still get in and swim until we physically drag him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    Swimming is not the problem. It's getting them back in the boat. The life jacket has a handle you can pull them in with. We used it just for that purpose at first but now he jumps in the water so fast we can't get the vest on him. By the end of the trip he can barely walk he is so tired but if he sees the water he will still get in and swim until we physically drag him out.
    Spot on! Our labs at the river were the same way. Never had jackets as they were only off when we were beached and could pick them back up and put on the boat. Dog tired by end of trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace Marine View Post
    I agree. It having the handle that is key. If we're just hanging on the beach I'll take it off him. He only wears on the boat.
    He must know I'm typing about him, because he's howling downstairs.

Thanks for the info guys. Good point about picking the dog back up into the boat.
    I just got this one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Thoughts on Dog Life Jackets???

I am sure your lab is full grown but for those that have puppies Outward Hound has a puppy program where you can trade the life jacket in for a larger size when the dog grows out of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We had a Black Lab never had a life jacket, he wouldn't have it,,,,bred for the water. Lived to 16 1/2 years,,,,,,,,,,,Best Dog ever! Then again we didn't have helmets to ride a bike or snow skiing when I grew up.
    Last edited by Slacker; 08-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner1984 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Good point about picking the dog back up into the boat.
    I just got this one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I've got the same one for my buddy, Its a good vest.