Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Catalina run

Catalina run

Quote Originally Posted by Hotboat View Post
    Did you know when you get about 2-3mi out you can't see the shoreline at all, in any direction? It's the strangest sensation. Its almost like you're lost and the sharks are waiting to feast on your appendages. That is until one of these runs right over the top of you LOL Attachment 15005
    Damn your being mean HB. :p
    CH3NO2

Huntington Beach, CA/ Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I've done the a bunch of times when I had my Shockwave. It is an awesome trip... Once you can see the shoreline you just keep heading 180* on the compass (out of Los Alamitos Bay) and all of a sudden BAM, there she is... Avalon!!!

Here a little tip. If you run into a pod of dolphins slow down to about 10mph, they we swim right up to the boat and surf the wave off your bow. You can lean over and touch them. They'll even turn sideways and look right up at you... It is the coolest thing ever, having mother nature's creature play with you in their environment. Not too many people get to experience that and you will never forget it.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and smokin, shouting "Holy Shit ...What A Ride!"

Did you know when you get about 2-3mi out you can't see the shoreline at all, in any direction?
    Let's not forget when you're running perpendicular to the swells and drop into it where all you see is towering grey water to your left and right as you run on the bottom.

Wendi
    I'm not scared!! I heard that you can follow the Catalina Express and you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Let's not forget when you're running perpendicular to the swells and drop into it where all you see is towering grey water to your left and right as you run on the bottom.
    Now you're trying to scare her. I didn't want to say anything about the possible 6-8' swells. But you're right, when you're little (relatively speaking) boat is at the bottom of the swell, the top of the swell looks like monster title waves. But then you usually, almost always, come out of them and then things are usually ok.

Wendi
    Now you're trying to scare her. I didn't want to say anything about the possible 6-8' swells. But you're right, when you're little (relatively speaking) boat is at the bottom of the swell, the top of the swell looks like monster title waves. But then you usually, almost always, come out of them and then things are usually ok.
    Well the great thing about all this is I can take the Catalina Express back if I feel my life is at risk, sucka!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    Well the great thing about all this is I can take the Catalina Express back if I feel my life is at risk, sucka!!!
    If you get there, absolutely you can take the Express back. Its a real nice, big, safe, boat

GRADS
    Just curious, but how fast do you guys normally run when you're out there?

Wendi
    Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Just curious, but how fast do you guys normally run when you're out there?
    I'll have to let Menace answer that. This is my first time ever going to Catalina and in a boat driving across the ocean where you don't see any land. I think it would be in my best interest to drink a little something before heading out on the maiden voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    I'll have to let Menace answer that. This is my first time ever going to Catalina and in a boat driving across the ocean where you don't see any land. I think it would be in my best interest to drink a little something before heading out on the maiden voyage.
    A good way to prepare is by getting your sea legs early. Just take the smallest raft you have, throw it in your pool, and stand on it for a couple hours while Tay throws water balloons at you. Then slam a few Fireballs and a small bottle of Vodka and you'll be all set to go. But be sure to take a couple of large freezer bags with you. Keep them close. And a bit of sailor advice that was given to me when I started flying, take a few bananas with you. Bananas taste the same coming out, as they did going down