Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

21' Daytona winter freshening.

I picked up my 89 21' Daytona last summer. I had it shipped from SoCal. I pretty much ran it as it was for the remainder of the summer. I spent a little time whipping her into shape this winter. She is starting to come around.

The day I picked her up.

First off I wet sanded and buffed. It's not perfect but it looks a lot better than it did when I got it.
    * Wet sand with 1000
    * Meguires One Step #67 applied by machine
    * Meguires Oxidation remover #49 applied by machine
    * 2 coats Meguires high gloss polish #45 applied by hand removed by machine
    * 1 coat Meguires Flagship Marine wax applied by hand removed by machine

Before:

After

Done:
    Last edited by Last Mohican; 05-05-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    89 Eliminator Daytona 21'
    74 Sleek Craft Rebel w/Pontiac 400
    76 Sleek Craft Ambassador

Next up was powder coat on the pump and a few other pieces. Pictures do not do this justice. It looks killer in person. It is a translucent blue over powder chrome.

Before:

After:

While the pump was out I decided to install new rub rail & insert. I ended up sending it to Dave @ Liberator for this. I have done it myself before (on my Rebel) but Dave's price parts and labor was not much more than just the material if I did it myself. As an added bonus he had 20' sticks instead of 12' so there is only 2 seams. I also had him do trailer bunks while it was there. Same deal his price was not much more than just materials.

Last edited by Last Mohican; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Found a crack in the bottom so the hull was strengthened added glass and intake reset.

At some point in the process I dowelled what seemed like 500 holes in one of the stringers. I think this was the result of a poorly designed bracket. It was holding the water separator, tank switch and fuel pump. I believe the screws kept pulling out. Through the years previous owners just moved over a bit and drilled new holes. Thankfully good wood came out of all of the holes when I drilled them out and they are now fixed. There was also an odd series of small holes on the top of the tunnels. They went all the way through the bottom on the starboard side. Not so on the port side. All have been filled.

Next up was AN hoses for fuel and water and a couple of small brackets. I decided (Meaning my wife) to go with black fittings and hose. I have all the AN fittings at this point. Still need to put it back together and measure for hose. You can see the new flywheel cover I picked up from from Tom and crew over at Jet Boat Performance.

Time for a pump brace. Made this with my $60 black friday table saw, a really old Harbor Freight bench top drill press my brother gave me when he closed his cabinet making shop a few years ago and a piece of drop off from a client. The bearing cap is double drilled. I decided to put 4 of the original black oxide bolts under the brace as the original configuration. I can acces to check tightness via holes. The 4 visible bolts holding the brace are stainless. Also mounted the fuel pump to the brace.

While the motor was out for the intake reset I sent the motor plates and rail kit to powder coat as well. Next up is to get the motor back in and measure the AN lines. The end is in sight. I am ready to get this pile back on the water.

Last edited by Last Mohican; 05-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.

I decided to use this kit from Jeg's to mount the regulator. It came with hard lines, regulator mount and the fitting needed for regulator and bowl. It did not hav the 90* fitting on the "IN" side of the reg.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...15081/10002/-1

I like the bowl fittings that came with the kit. Unlike the stock fittings that take a 1" wrench, these have a smaller hex on them so you can actually get a socket or wrench on them to tighten them into the bowl.

I clearanced the bracket a little to clear the back line. It was touching slightly. It probably would have been fine but I didn't want to take a chance on rubbing a hole in the line.

Next winter I will pull it back off and get the bracket powder coated blue to match the throttle bracket. Summer in here and I don't want to lose another week waiting on powder at this point.

Still need to clean up the carb and bowls. I will try to get the intake polished back up tomorrow and figure out where to mount the fuel filter. Then the motor should be ready to go back in.

Fresh polish on the intake courtesy Blue Magic and a Meguire's power cone. New black pipe plugs too.

Gettin closer.

That's about it for now. Kinda hit a wall trying to figure out fuel filter and oil filter relocation. Just gotta work through it. I'm sure it will come to me soon.
    Last edited by Last Mohican; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.