Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can you drill all the way through to the other side and use a bolt and nut?

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpChange View Post
    Can you drill all the way through to the other side and use a bolt and nut?
    I think the windshield glass goes into the bottom of that extrusion/ rail. Depending on how high the glass goes into the rail, if there’s enough room above the glass you could put a nut up in there with a backing plate.

I have no idea what a pop rivet is but I'm open to all ideas. Using a longer screw to grab the other side of the channel won't work because the other side is the glass. Not sure if that piece comes off but I guess I need to look into that. What are your thoughts on welding either the holes closed and tapping them or just even welding the thing to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    I have no idea what a pop rivet is but I'm open to all ideas. Using a longer screw to grab the other side of the channel won't work because the other side is the glass. Not sure if that piece comes off but I guess I need to look into that. What are your thoughts on welding either the holes closed and tapping them or just even welding the thing to the frame?
    I’m no expert but I’m assuming that the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless. Not good welding partners. If you’re going to weld up the frame The glass is coming out anyway. FWIW you might want to check the other side...

Quote Originally Posted by 240Hallett View Post
    I’m no expert but I’m assuming that the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless. Not good welding partners. If you’re going to weld up the frame The glass is coming out anyway. FWIW you might want to check the other side...
    Yes the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless steel. I'm no welder but I wondered about that. Check the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by GRADS View Post
    Yes the frame is aluminum and the bracket is stainless steel. I'm no welder but I wondered about that. Check the other side?

The other side of the boat. I assume there’s an opposing bracket much like this one and if this one’s takin a shit the other side may be as well.

Another vote for a nut-sert. It's basically a threaded pop rivet. Looks like sheet metal screws were used the first time, and then JB Weld to hold it with oversized screws the subsequent times it failed. A nut-sert should be a permanent fix.

Or take it somewhere and have studs TIG welded into the holes and use a nut to hold the bracket on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
    Another vote for a nut-sert. It's basically a threaded pop rivet. Looks like sheet metal screws were used the first time, and then JB Weld to hold it with oversized screws the subsequent times it failed. A nut-sert should be a permanent fix.

Or take it somewhere and have studs TIG welded into the holes and use a nut to hold the bracket on.
    I've never heard of a nut-sert....looks like I'm going to have to fire up Google.

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Grads, is there any opening to the left or right where an aluminum slug could be made and slid inside the extrusion to be drilled and tapped? Any way at all to get something larger diameter inside the aluminum tubing?
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Definitely nut sert