Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Take a look at this.....

Video.... I find it fascinating, not because there are trains in it, but because it shows life at the turn of the 20th century. You might as well be looking at another world...you will need to watch it several times as I have, but each time you do, you will notice something you did not see the previous time....and still, I am not talking about the trains...although if you want, I can point out several railroad "gems" to you....take a look...

One of the things I find fascinating about this is the total lack of cars. This is a time before cars were around, the roads are more for horse drawn wagons at this point, though, there are a few cars out there, owned by wealthy people more as a status symbol, than as a serious mode of transportation. The other thing is the number of people out and about, you don't see that much any longer, we are all in buildings and cars, not out walking around like folks on here. I suspect that this is due to the fact that they knew the camera was coming through town and wanted to be a part of that. cameras back then were new, especially motion picture cameras, and they may have wanted to be a part of history. These videos, shot by Edison as part of the copyright process, are among the first moving pictures ever shot, if not the first. So it was a big deal to see one of these at the time. Notice the kid riding his bike ahead of the train. Plus, people walked a lot more in those days...so they were also just out doing their daily routines...

Now as for the railroad gems in the video. If you look at the first engine coming by in the video, it is called a camelback. It looked like this....

Name:  zCamelback.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  57.8 KB

They were some of the most unique engines ever built, and were strictly used on the east coast. They did not have a long service life, as they were extremely dangerous to operate. The engineer sat up on top over the boiler, with the fireman, while a second fire man fed the boiler at the rear of the engine on the platform between it and the tender. Because they were so rare, and because of the time they were running, photos can be found, but footage of them running is extremely rare.....also, in the video are the rarest of signals, the "ball" type signal. When the ball is in the high position, that is a proceed signal. Thus the saying "highball!!!" Which is still used today to indicate a clear block or a green light.....

Wendi
    Yes I too noticed the lack of vehicles and all the people that were out and about. I also noticed people riding on the tops and hanging out the sides. You would never see that today! Back in the day people worked HARD labor!!!

I didn't want to start a new thread for one pic, so I went back and found this one to use. If this engine looks familiar, and it wont to most of you, but it might to your kids...this is the engine they drew in as the engine in the Polar Express movie. Rendered it right down to the sounds of the engine itself. Pere Marquette 1225 is known as a Berkshire type engine. A 2-8-4, it and other Berkshire's are considered to be the most aesthetically pleasing (beautiful) engines ever built. I agree, here are two examples of the same engine, but built for two separate railroads. Second engine is the Nickel Plate 765...beautiful!!!!!

Name:  zpm.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  89.6 KBName:  zpe.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  62.7 KB

wow thats a weird looking boat
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Quote Originally Posted by ogshotgun View Post
    Yea, I don't think it would float.

LOL...it's actually www.Hotboatscarsplanesandtrains.com just so ya know...LOL...

what happened to the boating pictures ? all i see is random BS hardly any boats at all thats sad !!!
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

Name:  IMG_3812.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  61.5 KB just a reminder of what a boat looks like !!!
    ARNG SPC
    Los Alamitos JFTB

what happened to the boating pictures ? all i see is random BS hardly any boats at all thats sad !!!
    The BS isn't random. Kind of like what people have told me about listening to Howard Stern (who I don't listen to).
    You have to get to know the cast of characters. Once you do, it's actually kind of funny.