Thread: Prop Shaft

Hybrid View

Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    I spent several hours at the drags at Firebird 2 weeks ago benchracing with Wayne Mettler in Don Bausher's pit and the subject of prop shafts came up. Either Scott Owens or Tim at Lenco has a shaft material that according to them puts A22 and Inconel in the trash can. I will see Wayne this weekend at the drags and get more info. If we can stop breaking shafts the weakest link will then be the prop!!!!!
    This is the question I have been wondering about through all of these discussions (here and on PB)... If we can make axles that can last pass after pass in a pro mod OR monster trucks turning earth mover tires or a TF dragster/funny car, why can't we improve on the material that is used... I do get the need for a material that is corrosion resistant, could some kind of nitride or iridite 14-2 or nickel plating could be used, maybe, if the NEW material was carbon steel and NOT stainless???
    -In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People..

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    This is the question I have been wondering about through all of these discussions (here and on PB)... If we can make axles that can last pass after pass in a pro mod OR monster trucks turning earth mover tires or a TF dragster/funny car, why can't we improve on the material that is used... I do get the need for a material that is corrosion resistant, could some kind of nitride or iridite 14-2 or nickel plating could be used, maybe, if the NEW material was carbon steel and NOT stainless???
    I have thought the same thing. Not to mention off road torsion bars being cycled like crazy, in 2 directions. 300M seems to be the material of choice for shafts that are subjected to heavy cycling.
    With the rudder, turn fins and props all made of carbon steel, I don't really see the "requirement" for a corrosion resistant material, specially on something that cycles thru a prop shaft as fast as a TFH.

I don't think I would want to run a carbon steel shaft on the GN, but it would not surprise me one bit if the stuff Wayne is referring to is a carbon steel.